dilemma - ideas, please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dilemma - ideas, please

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Defaultdilemma - ideas, please

Buddy is crate-trained, but I thought it would be a good idea to run home at lunch for a while to let him out to potty. So, that's what I did today. He was deliriously happy to see me, thrilled to go out and pee, and came back in the house willingly.

Then he wanted to play and I could not get him to go back in the crate, even after putting a frozen Kong in there. He was leaping around like a gazelle, *almost* doing a butt-tuck through the house. He ran to the kitchen door and stood up, looking out the window, as if pleading for someone to save him from the mean old lady who wanted to stuff him back into a crate. :-[

I felt terrible, because he's spent so much of his life in crates and kennels and I know he just wants some freedom.

My question is this - should I not go home at lunch, and then just let him out to stay when I get home after work? Or should I keep going home for another week or so, for a measly 10 minutes to let him pee, and then make him go back in the crate? I want him to feel secure and happy about his new home, and not think he's been relegated to just another crate for most of the time.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dilemma - ideas, please

I would try to keep going home at lunch time and just be persistant that after pee time he has to go back in the crate. Hopefully he will get used to it and know that it's time to go back in.

Felix Guest

I should say, give it a shot! ;D

If you never shoot, you never hit some thing

So, let's try if he's a brave dog out side of his crate! 8)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree, go home, let him out, and then crate him up. He'll learn that it's the schedule he's on. Dogs are adaptable. No harm in him trying to get you to play, but you set the rules, and need to be consistent and put him back in.

Dani is offline Senior Member

keep going home for lunch. He'll get used to it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I agree, go home, let him out, and then crate him up. He'll learn that it's the schedule he's on. Dogs are adaptable. No harm in him trying to get you to play, but you set the rules, and need to be consistent and put him back in.
    I tend to agree. Soon, he'll know it's his schedule and that you will come home after work.

good luck.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I agree that he needs to learn your schedule and get used to the crate.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

I'd keep going home. He'll get used to crating up. Could you gate off the kitchen instead of crating, maybe do morning in the crate and then afternoon gated in the kitchen. He'' do fine.. it's hard not to feel a bit of guilt because you know he spent some of his life in pens and crates.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Okay, I will keep going home at lunch for another week or so, to let him out to potty then crate him back up again. Hopefully, one day he will be trustworthy out of the crate. We might try a short time out this weekend to see how he does, but I know I am going to have to clear off all my counters and tables! Buddy is good when I am home but he is still very inquisitive and has not learned all the boundaries yet.

I have to keep reminding myself that he is not Shadow, who could be trusted completely, but needs to be taught what is and is not allowed.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Puebla is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you're going to stick with it. Once he's locked in there again, give him "cookie bye-bye" by tossing a few pieces of his kibble in with him. That way, he'll associated you leaving him in there with something good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast