Dog Park Incident really has me mad, have to rant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Park Incident really has me mad, have to rant

DefaultDog Park Incident really has me mad, have to rant

This incident happened last Saturday and my blood is still boiling. When we first researched operation a dog park most every park we researched had some sort of age limit on children entering the park. After we opened our park so many "parents" complained to the powers that be that they dropped all age requirements saying it was a decision to be made by parents.
    Now we even have "parents" pushing baby carriages through the park and there may be 80+ dogs running around. I have seen toddlers in diapers crawling through the grass.
    Knowing that Duke cannot resist going to see, and lick, anything in a baby carriage I always keep him well away when I see one.
    Last Saturday an exuberant 10 month old Lab knocked down a two year old girl. The girl was not hurt but the girls father started screaming at the Lab's owner and then CALLED THE POLICE. I don't know the outcome but when I left the police were there talking to the owner of the dog.
    In my opinion they should have been talking to the father of the child as, to me, it is clearly child endangerment to bring a small child into an off leash dog park. I am thinking about contacting our local Child Protection Agency to see if they would conduct a visit to officially determine if there should be an age limit on children entering the park.
    OH, I forgot to mention, as dog owners in the park we are liable if our dog injures one of those children so there is absolutely NO responsibility placed on these so called parents.
    OK. Rant over but I'm still mad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog Park Incident really has me mad, have to rant

What you described is why I don't go to dog parks. The people cause too many problems.

The people in the wrond make the most noise........

I have noticed over the past year or so that the people coming to th epark hve changed and the people that used to come have slowly but surely chagned their habits because of owners who have no control over their dogs. There ahve been a couple that haven't paid attention to their kids and it is very scary. I keep away from them all these days/

Fanny and Eddie don't care if they see another dog there anymore they just like to walk...........

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Well, I can certainly understand why you're upset. I'm so tired of irresponsible people ruining things for the rest of us. Maybe the cop could have been talking to the dog owner to get both sides of the story.

Felix Guest

Here in the Netherlands we have some kind of justice we've called it: "Accepted Risk" .. so if the father of that little kid or baby has acepted that his child is walking/playing, or what else they regular do, is on a dog field ... then he can call the police but they dont do any thing

And it is just plane stupid, especialy if there are a lot of dog's to enter such place with little kids, a dog will alway's be a dog, no matter what kind of dog it is

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

RIGHT ON BRO!! You are absolutely right to be boiling over this!

I mean, if this was a public park, and the dogs were off leash, and they knocked over a small child...well, that's one thing (still not grounds to call the police IMO, but whatever).

But these people brought a toddler into a DOG PARK? And then they complain when she got knocked down? Well that's just really, really stupid.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I do beleive I would be petitioning the governing body of the dog park to reinstate the age limit. Bring up the liability of the owners and incidents like this one.
    While I can see why someone would want to bring a child with them to the park that child is their responsibility and if they are running around and get knocked over it's their fault not the dogs. They need to keep them out of harms way.

I'd be fuming mad too!

That type of incident is exactly what keeps me from taking Henry to a dog park... that and oh yes, those dogs who frequent our dog parks who are unsocialized and their idjit owners who do nothing.

First, these parents are idiots and now I''m fuming too and it isn't even MY dog park. Don't they realize that some dogs do not LIKE kids? Some dogs have never been AROUND kids? Some dogs could BITE kids? Knocking them down is the least of their problems. Dogs don't view children, especially young children, as human. They look different, sound different, smell different. Infants can even be confused with prey in some instances. What semi intelligent being would put its offspring at risk? Human of course. Animals do everything in their power to protect THEIR young. :

Of course the loud voices of a few outweigh the rational voices of the many so of course the city would remove the age limitations. : I'd be educating the city on dog bites (what age group is the most likely to be biten and why) and petitioning them to 1) institute a minimum age requirement and 2) put up a sign up that says everyone/everything that enters the park enters at his/her/its own risk...this includes children who have stupid parents. >

Ugh. My dd is 4, and I take her with me, but I also know that if she was to get hurt it would be MY fault.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast