OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    139

    DefaultOT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    Sorry for the off topic, but I'm worried sick about my little 3 year old daughter.

    I get the impression that we have alot of experiened parents here, and was wondering if any of you ever had a situation lilke this.

    Yesterday, my 3 year old daughter managed to put a quarter in her mouth. My wife and her brother noticed my daughter choking and gasping for air. At that time, my Brother in law made every attempt to dislodge the quarter, but instead of coming out, my daughter swallowed the quarter.
    I ran home from work, and rushed her to emergency. The resident gastro suggested we remove the quarter with an edoscopy, my daughter's pediatrician is absolutely against it. He says that more damage could be done with the procedure, than the actual passing of the quarter.

    My wife and I are torn and a nervous wreck.

    Do you know of any 3 year that actually passed a quarter through a bowel movement? Is this possible in such a small body? (31 lbs)

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,645

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send some good thoughts for your daughter. Keep us posted.

    Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

  4. #3
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    Oh no!

    I'm sure she'll be able to pass it. It might hurt, but she should be able to. Why don't you cross post this in the Odds & Ends section here. Lots of parents over there, too.




    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,802

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    Yeah, I would recommend cross posting in O&E.

    As for the originial question...Did you ask how long to expect her to take to pass it? Maybe you could take a wait and see attitude for a day or so.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

    Throw the ball, damn it!

  7. #5
    Linda1's Avatar
    Linda1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Pa.
    Posts
    8,812

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    I'm sorry. My niece swallowed a coin once, but I don't remember what it was. The Dr. had her go in several times for x-rays to follow the path of the coin. She had no problem passing it. But, I don't know if a small coin like a dime would make a difference over a larger quarter. Hope your daughter will be ok.

    Brookville, Pa.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    139

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    Yeh, it's the dime vs the quarter that concerns me.

    I spoke to three different doctors this morning. 2 of them, I happen to know on a personal level. They all suggested that I NOT do a procedure. They feel she will pass it.

    I'll cross post, too.

    Thanks


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    I would just check her poop for several days. I bet she will pass it. I once found a nickel in a diaper of my two year old. I never knew he had swallowed it, so never had the worry. My guess is that it will pass.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    680

    DefaultRe: OT: My DAUGHTER swallowed a quarter...thoughts needed

    My friend's daughter swallowed a penny. they had to look through her poop until it finally came out. my friend is a nurse and she was not concerned at all.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26