Help- nasty smells from Larry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help- nasty smells from Larry

DefaultHelp- nasty smells from Larry

Ever since we've had Larry (since Feb 2006), he has always excreted the most TERRIBLE smell when he gets anxious/upset. It most often occurs in the car during long car rides- which he's not a huge fan of anyway.

However, tonight a friend of mine came to the house. He'd never met her before, it was dark outside so he didn't see her, and before I could intercept her (or him), she knocked on the door and then just flung it open. It startled Larry so much that his ruff was up, and he was barking and scared. Almost immediately, we were all hit by the most horrific smell EVER. Yep, you guessed it- the same smell that happens in the car. We're talking nasty rotten fish, linger-til-you-vomit kind of smell. (And no, it was not my friend. ) It drove everyone from the room! :-[ That happened around 9:30. When I left the house at 10:45, it STILL stunk. All of the windows were open, too!

So, what's the deal? It seems to be a nervous/anxiety/scared reaction. I did a search (go me!) on anal gland issues, and Connie mentioned at one point that this smells fishy and horrific, which is exactly what Larry smells like at times like these. BUT, he never scootches his butt on the ground, and I don't recall seeing him lick his behind a lot, either. This has occurred on all three foods that we've fed him in the last 1+ year.

??? ??? ??? Any ideas? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help- nasty smells from Larry

Oh yeah. When I was reading this, before I even got to the part where you mentioned my name, I was thinking, "YES, THIS is THE SMELL." I think he's definitely expressing his anal glands.

I was doing a little more reading on it a while back. From what I gathered, when they scoot their butts it can indicate an infection in their glands. But their glands don't have to be infected to express. They sometimes do it when they are afraid. That's when Simon's happened. And you are SO right...it can clear a room lickety split. It's AW-FUL!

Crash's anal glands had to be expressed many, many times. When I read about the butt-scooting indicating an infection that sometimes needs to be drained and treated with antibiotics, it made me feel so horrible. His vet (yet again) wasn't really addressing his problem. :'(

Simon does a lot of butt-licking...then his breath smells like that. :-X Then he wants a kiss! YUK! I have been trying to figure out if Simon's need to be expressed, or if he is doing it himself when he licks. We don't have butt-scooting, so... ???

I am still trying to learn about anal glands. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LarrytheLabs Mom
    However, tonight a friend of mine came to the house. He'd never met her before, it was dark outside so he didn't see her, and before I could intercept her (or him), she knocked on the door and then just flung it open. It startled Larry so much that his ruff was up, and he was barking and scared. Almost immediately, we were all hit by the most horrific smell EVER. Yep, you guessed it- the same smell that happens in the car. We're talking nasty rotten fish, linger-til-you-vomit kind of smell. (And no, it was not my friend. ) It drove everyone from the room! :-[ That happened around 9:30. When I left the house at 10:45, it STILL stunk. All of the windows were open, too!
    Same with Brigetta. When someone she doesn't know comes over, she barks, gets scared, and has that same horrible smell! It's nauseating! She also doesn't scoot and it's happened regardless of the food she was on. I didn't know if it was gas brought on by anxiety or what. It happened once in the car when I fist got her.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

It's interesting that you talk about the smell, but have you seen the actual discharge? From what you describe, it definitely sounds like anal glands fluid. I would expect that you'd see the liquid (which can vary quite a bit in color but is frequently in the brownish range). If you clean that up right away, it shouldn't smell nearly as bad.

Bella has only done an anal gland spray once from fear. My MIL visited for the first time and is big old woman with a cane - scared the heck out of Bella and she sprayed.

If your dog has healthy glands, he'll usually express a very small amount some of the time that he poops - another reason that you want good firm poops.

Good luck.

Bella

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

When Zoey got her colar caught it was the same smell. I think it is the anal glands also. We used to have a Dane that expressed his while riding in the car as well. They do release them when scared I'm not sure why though.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Does this remind anyone else of Pepe Le Pew?

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Anal glands!

Aly has had hers expressed once. It is about a two minute procedure at the vet where in some poor vet tech sticks his or her finger inside the doggy butt and manually expressess the gland.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

I've never seen a discharge when this happens. Ever. In fact, for the longest time we thought it was indigestion gas.

Last night, I did notice that the base of his tail (the underside) was wet. That's what made me start wondering about his anal glands. I didn't see any wet spots on the floor or carpet though. ???

He is definitely expressing himself :

You can do it for him, ya know ;D

Jinx is offline Senior Member

Butt scooting isn't necessarily an indication of infection. Jinx used to need to have hers expressed. The fiber in her food was too low. The butt scooting usually meant she was full and needed a trip to the vet to be expressed. I couldn't bring myself to do it. :-X
    Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast