Anyone start their own Doggy Daycare?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone start their own Doggy Daycare?

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone start their own Doggy Daycare?

my husband and i have wanted to do this for years. we have absolutely no where within a 40 mile radius to take the girls to play all day. they just built one about 10 minutes from my house but it's on a very busy road and my husband would worry himself sick about the girls finding an escape route and getting into the traffic. i am a teacher so i have the summers off to get the business started and if it really took off, my husband would quit his job and take over when school restarts. we would hire a few people to get us started depending on what the enrollment rate would be and want to make sure we provide the safest, most comfortable place for dogs and their owners. my husband also mentioned putting up video camera so the owners could monitor their dogs. we don't have any children that would need attending to and i don't mind the work (clean up and all that) and i'm excellent at bookkeeping.

where is a good place to start when thinking about doing a business such as this? anyone ever start something like this? we would definitely have to find a place with property to rent because our house is just too small.

any suggestions. Thanks.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone start their own Doggy Daycare?

I'm not sure where to start but I think it would be a great idea.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Maybe start with a bank for financing options?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think the first thing I'd do is look into permits/certifications.

Good luck, I wish I had the follow through to do that...it sounds like a blast.

Caseys Mom Guest

DogWise has quite a few books on daycare and pet sitting. You might want to start by reading a few of them for hints and tips:
    http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCat...ggie%20Daycare

Good luck! It sounds like a fun business. ;D

You will need a business plan if you want to borrow money from a bank. I'm sure you can find good information on making one on-line or at the library.

Before you think about borrowing money, business plans or buildings, you either need to work at a daycare or find one that will let you come for an extended visit (open-close for a week or so). Do you have any animal behavior experience? There's a lot more to it than playing with the pups

Insurance is another big thing!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Do you have any animal behavior experience? There's a lot more to it than playing with the pups
    I agree. If I left my dogs at a daycare facility I would want to know about your qualifications and level of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by clear
    Insurance is another big thing!
    And liability waivers, and contracts, and all sorts of legal things.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head (sorry for the form of them).

I definitely agree with the animal behavior stuff. You have to be very, very good at discerning different types of play behaviors, fear behaviors, pain behaviors, etc. If you're not, you end up either overreacting to play behaviors or not preventing fights.

How are you going to temperament test? Are you going to not allow certain breeds (ie, pits, bully breeds)? Are you going to allow unaltered males? What about puppies? Are you going to separate dogs by energy level? By size?

You also have to be very good at emergency medical care. You end up with lots of emergencies- what happens when you have 10-15 dogs that cannot be left alone and you have a dog that needs to be taken to the emergency vet right now? What medical supplies (epi-pens, etc) are you going to keep on hand?

How many staff would you have? What would the dog-staff ratio be? I know that I refuse any daycare that has higher than 8-1 dog to human ratio. Are you going to provide benefits for your staff? Where are you going to find your staff? What will be your qualifications of your staff? Owners like me want to make sure that the staff also is qualified- I want to know that the person handling my dog isn't someone doing it because it's better than McDonalds, you know?

What's the maximum dog per day going to be? Do people have to make a reservation?

I grilled the staff for 30 minutes on experience, on what would you do if x happened (what is your plan for x), the dogs to human ratio, etc before I left Gabby.

It's a lot more than permits and space. It's a lot to think about. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast