Sores under her ears???

Thread: Sores under her ears???

DefaultSores under her ears???

With the constant bitey face going on in our house from the new playmate Mocha's ears have been soaked since Saturday. I noticed last night that the underside of her ears were not drying inbetween rounds of bitey face and pulled a small clump of hair out. This morning I noticed more hair and took a closer look. This is what I found:

she has a nickle size bald spot under the one ear and it's pretty red and a bit ozzy, the other ear is not quite as bad but still has some hair loss. I took a paper towel and tried to dry them as good as I could and tried to get any other loose hair out. Then I took some of the zymox ear cleaner I had and dabed it on there with a cotton ball to clean it a bit then dried them again. I can't tell if it's yeasty or just from the constant wetness but it's obviously irritated. She isn't messing with it really I haven't seen her scratch it or anything but Zeus just will not leave her ears alone he's constantly messing with them. How do I get him to stop so it will dry.

I called the vet and made an appointment for her on Thursday morning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sores under her ears???

Bumping

labby is offline Senior Member

Hard to see with the pictures, but Seamus got hotspots when Teddie constantly bit his neck and face.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do they get goopy? I know the pictures are hard to see but it won't dry out because of where it is. I looks like the hotspot pictures I've seen before it's all red & the hair has come out. The area is really goopy not just wet like from water but I guess the saliva makes it kind of sticky. A) How do I get it dry? B) How do I keep Zeus from licking it and making it worse? C) Do I need to take her to the vet to have it looked at and get something for it?

She's not really messing with it at all I haven't seen her try to scratch it or shaking her head anymore than normal.

I have an appoitment for Thursday morning first thing I was worried since the one is kind of open and when I was cleaning it this morning there was a little diluted blood on the cotton ball. I don't want it getting infected.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes they got very goopy. What I did was shave the area and then put Gold Bond medicated powder on it to dry it out. Its hard when another dog is continually keep it wet though.

Laura

Thanks Laura I'll try that maybe if I can get the hair away it will dry faster too. I'll try to be more careful to dry her ears off more often too after they play. She was good and sat pretty still this mornirng when I was trying to clean and look at it hopefully she'll let me shave it.