Is there an alternative to benadryl?

Thread: Is there an alternative to benadryl?

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs there an alternative to benadryl?

Is there something else that Madison can take instead of the benadryl that has the same effect?? We're now wondering if it's not the Benadryl that's making her sick. She threw up again tonight about half an hour ago. It's wasn't to difficult to clean up, not real liquidy. She's had 2 doses of Benadryl today and has eaten a little bit and has been drinking water ok. Her appetite is definetly not up to normal but I just figured it was due to her sting and swelling last night.

BY THE WAY...... we think we may have discovered what made her swell. I have an old metal milk jug that sits out on the patio and hubby found wasps in there trying to build a home. We've seen her stick her nose in there a few times before but never even thought to look inside it yet. We've only seen the wasps a few times and that was around hubby's shed.

Madison's itching has let up, but still seems to bother her off and on a little bit. So... if the benadryl makes her sick, what else can we give her?? I'm concerned about this happening again. I'll also be calling our vets office and talking with our regular vet, saw one of the others today. I'm really hoping this NEVER happens again. :'(
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is there an alternative to benadryl?

If the Benadryl is making her sick I would check with your vet to see what they would suggest.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

My vet has told us before we coudl use Tavist but I don't have the dosages with me here at work. I think it was similar to the benedryl but I would ask the vet to be sure.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

The vet may suggest you get an epi-pen or something similar?

The one thing from having a cat and several human family members that are highly allergic to stings- if there is one "episode" with lots of swelling, etc, it's almost a guarantee the next will be worse.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

yes, Chlorpheniramine, also known as Chlor trimetron and
    I think maybe Tavist.
    Dosage is the same as benadryl.
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your tips.

We're definetly going to get an epi-pen. I emailed a photo to our vets office today so they could see just how bad she reacted. Will give them a call and talk with our regular vet about getting that. Madison and I can both carry epi-pens except mine is for pollen allergies, not bees.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

Puebla is offline Senior Member

Puebla takes Chlortrimeton for her allergies. My vet says to give her 12 mg twice daily, so I don't believe the dose should be as high as Benadryl would be (where she'd take 50 mg twice daily).

Check with your vet.

imported_delmonico is offline Senior Member

Benadryl can upset a human stomach, I sometimes have to take a double dose (4 tablets) of it to ward off a bad reaction and keep me out of the ER, about half the time I am sick to my stomach the next day. I fell like I have a hangover. My doctor says to stay with the Benadryl though.
    Mongrel Historian aka Glen Carman<br />Lincoln Newbrassky<br /><br />Member of POOP: People Offended by Offended People<br /><br /><br /><br />Lexie, are you telling me you want me to get on the couch?