Just Labradors banner

Do poo eaters ever kick the habit?

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Dakkerdog 
#1 ·
Angus is still a poo eater. He's going to be three in August.

He doesn't do it as bad when we are with him on a walk. He knows he'll get called out for it.

But the other day I was with them in the backyard. Simon pooed, and Angus went over and started sniffing. I yelled, "ANGUS! LEAVE IT!" He did, and came trotting back to the porch. :angel:

I turned my back and started doing something else, looked up again five minutes later and there he was, munching out. :-X

And the sad part is, I just sort of went, "[Sigh] Whatever."

He is wearing me down, I'm afraid. :-\

#2 ·
*raises paw* Hi, my name is Henery, and I eat poo.

Henry too. And he's four. He doesn't on walks, he has only ever eaten his own once and prefers to snack on others'. If he's off-leash, his poo of choice is goose poo. Which, I would rather him eat, than dead squirrels. :-X

#3 ·
Lucy is 4 1/2 and she eats scat. turkey, coyote, you name it. She rarely indulges in dog poop anymore.

Cricket is a chronic poop eater. We have to pick up right after Lucy or Cricket will eat it. Sometimes she waits eagerly while Lucy is squatting..It is so frustrating and it drives me crazy. I don't know if she will ever stop. She DELIGHTS in eating Lucy's poop.

SIGH...is right....and I do the same thing, Connie..I lose the energy to do battle and just sometimes say..."whatever"

#4 ·
I've been struggling with this too. I've finally started following Dexter around so I can pick it up before I forget where it is. Believe me, he never forgets. Never! ::) He's sort of like an addict. I've been very diligent in picking the poop up, but yesterday I found him licking some leaves that had apparently been underneath a pile and still had a nice coating on them. :-X Dunno if he'll ever be cured.

I've become resigned to the fact that he might always do this. As a coping mechanism, I've given him his own theme song. Whenever he comes in with that certain "breath," I sing to him 'Poop Eater' to the tune of James Bond's "Goldfinger." It distracts from the repugnance of it all. And of course, no kisses for a looooooong time. :(

#5 ·
Tally is our 1st poop eater and believe me, sometimes it doesn't even hit the ground as Copper is pooping (this is her 1st choice). I have tried everything anyone has said with no results. I too am out in the a.m. doing the poopy run with the bucket before Tally gets to it. I can also relate to licking the grass and leaves where a deposit was made for any little remnants that might remain after pick up.

She doesn't destroy things, she doesn't counter surf, she listens most of the time, brings me all her toys for inspection, follows me around with love in her eyes. So... we don't get the kisses the other dogs get, but jeez how do you complain about her really only fault: EATING POOP AS THOUGH IT WERE CHOCOLATE!!! Beside, I like chocolate (the real stuff) too!

Pat

#6 ·
Molly *knock wood* has gotten a lot better. Whenever we know it's potty time we supervise and if she goes to eat Abby's poo she gets a firm "ahhhhhaha" correction and a "leave it!!" upon successfully doing that (haha) she gets a good treat and then *knock wood* when they go back out to play she leaves it alone since she's into the fresh stuff :-X

#8 ·
Sorry to say it but my Maisy is 6 and she has always eaten other dogs poo...not her own or my other dogs but strange dogs poop. ::) I WISH she ate only her own. That would make my dog-owning life so much easier.

Murph will sometimes eat his own. He is selective about which of his own poops he will eat which I find odd. He dabbles in other dogs (strange dogs) turds occasionally, too.

G
#10 ·
Actually .. YES! .. they do ;)

After the smooth winter, she start's eating poop (dog poop only!) :-X

And after a few time's a empty cola bottle (small version 500cc) throwing near her, when she's eating the poop, the bell rings if she want's to start eating ...

Actually after the bottle .. (i dont need to use it any more) she only snifs ... and after hearing her name, she goes further with what she was doing 8)

Oh .. and leaving the poop the poop! ;D

#11 ·
I'm very fortunate. Zoe ate cat poop once, and she got her mouth rinsed out like you wouldn't believe. She has not eaten it since.

However, she rolled her face in cat poop on our walk, and we marched straight home and she received a face shampoo....twice (it took forever to get the smell out)...and I scrubbed really hard; she was not pleased. Since then, she may sniff the poop but will not rub. Of course, I really watch her when she sniffs stuff.

#12 ·
We call Peanut "the poo steamroller".... as she (for whatever reason) will not eat the poo, but will proceed to roll in it until it resembles a chocolate pancake...... And with the type of hair she has it gets nice and ground in..... :-X

Dead (preferably rotting) things are also popular recipients of the "steam roller" trick, and a real favorite is leftover worm guts.... yummy..... :-X :-X

G
#13 ·
Eating poop, it can have more then one cause ;)

- They are bored to death, so they start eating poop
- Copy cat behaviour, the other dog's do it, so i should do it also!
- There nurture isnt enough, so they get a lot out of the other dog his poop

And it is hard to teach them to stop eating poop, try to stop eating a birthday cake is also hard to do so ;)

For example, Laika does only eat poop on one place she often come's, i can walk the whole park through with out touching any poop, and then set three steps on the dog field, and yes .. there goes the poop! ;D

#14 ·
If I catch Angus going for poo on our walks and give him a correction and verbal disapproval, Angus will remember where that poo is..then on a late walk he will purposely lag behind a bit in that area and snag it quickly. The 'grin' he wears from not only eating the poo, but pulling a fast one over on me, is priceless.

G
#17 ·
Trickster said:
If I catch Angus going for poo on our walks and give him a correction and verbal disapproval, Angus will remember where that poo is..then on a late walk he will purposely lag behind a bit in that area and snag it quickly.
This is EXACTLY what my dogs do! I find it amazing how they always remember where the poop is.
If you find a 1000 dollar bill, and they tell you dont to touch it, and they just left, then you also went back to collect that 1000 dollar ;)

It is hard to teach something not to do, when it is such fun to do, if you get what i mean ;)

G
#20 ·
Diesel seems to have stopped. {{looking for some wood to knock on}}

I hung outside with him for several days a month ago and when he started to nibble I told him "STOP THAT" which is what I usually say to correct him. He would look at me and then walk away from it. Incredibly after a few times of correcting him like that he actually has left it completely alone.

His breath is sweet again. :D

#22 ·
I really shouldn't have opened this thread while eating breakfast :-X

What annoys me about my boys and poo eating is that it is a habit that they have taken up later in life. Never used to do it when they were younger. Matt was the first to start. A couple of years ago he started eating Gus's poo when Gus was on diet food. Now Matt will eat any of the other boys poos and all three of the other boys have decided to join in the "fun".

#24 ·
Crash NEVER ate poo. It was never even something that would've crossed my mind as a potential problem until Angus. ???

#25 ·
*raises paw* I am Sam, and I like poo. :-X

The other day I left Sam and Bodie in the back yard and went in to the garage. Then I went back to the back yard, but I went through the door that goes from the garage to the yard (Sam had seen me enter the house through the slider, so I kind of snuck up on him). He was munching on something, and I yelled "Sam, NO!" and of course he swallowed as much as he could. Something dropped from his mouth and he wasn't able to grab it before I yelled again. I was a bit away, so I walked over, hoping I wasn't going to find a dropped poo (I don't know what I was hoping he'd been eating out there), but yep, it there was one tiny piece of poo left. He'll be five this year, and luckily he only seems to partake in this snack a couple times a year. I just told him "no kisses today".

#26 ·
Hey Angus - Moose here. Don't let your mom get in the way of some good poop eating! She tries to keep me from eating my own poop - would you believe she tries to beat me to my own poop! I think she must have quite a feast with mine and Sky's poop - and she never shares!

Connie - Moose and I have a game as to who can find his poop first! And God forbid Sky be close enough to enjoy it hot from the oven. I guess the one thing I can be grateful for is that they only eat Moose's poop. Sky will only occasionally munch on her own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.