Shaky legs??

Thread: Shaky legs??

DefaultShaky legs??

After exercising, does anyone else's' labs' get shaky legs? Our new lab has this happen after playing fetch and he looks like he's going to fall over (actually, he kind of wobbles like he's drunk), but is still full of energy. Our other lab has never had this happen. I'm just wondering if it's something that others have experienced, of if we should get it checked out....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shaky legs??

How old?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RukusandDozer
    After exercising, does anyone else's' labs' get shaky legs? Our new lab has this happen after playing fetch and he looks like he's going to fall over (actually, he kind of wobbles like he's drunk), but is still full of energy. Our other lab has never had this happen. I'm just wondering if it's something that others have experienced, of if we should get it checked out....
    I'm wondering if it's maybe some exercise induced seizure? Does he ever get to a point where he can't move? (i.e. drunken wobbling til he's on the ground?)
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    How old?

He's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Quote Originally Posted by RukusandDozer
    I'm wondering if it's maybe some exercise induced seizure? Does he ever get to a point where he can't move? (i.e. drunken wobbling til he's on the ground?)
    Well, one time he was very wobbly and he walked over to the water dish and basicly fell over into it. He just laid there panting and drank water. He got up about 10 minutes later and walked back to his kennel just fine.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering if it's maybe some exercise induced seizure?
    That's what it sounds like. How much excercise does he get right before it happens?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    I'm wondering if it's maybe some exercise induced seizure?
    That's what it sounds like. How much excercise does he get right before it happens?
    We'll play fetch outside for maybe 15-20 minutes beforehand. I should also mention that it only seems to be happening in his back legs, and that he doesn't seem to be "out of it" or anything like that. He's also a new dog to us (we've had him for about a month and a half now)...he had been neglected before and probably didn't get much intense exercise....

Any history on him? Can he go for long walks without this happening or is it all exercise intolerance?
    Does it happen every time?

Sounds a lot like CNM Check out labradorcnm.com and view video. I have a 1 1/2 year old lab that has this and can walk and fetch for short periods of time and then starts to shake and get wobbly (like in the video) and has to lay down for a few minutes. She is then able to continue for a period of time (shorter than the 1st). She sort of bunny hops when she runs.
    There are varying degrees of this from as bad as the video to my girl Mischa's capabilities. She is thin. Even though she eats 4 cups of food a day, it is hard to keep her weight on

Don't want to scare you, because at 3 it probably would have been picked up before. But if you just got him? Who knows
    Pat

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Sounds like EIC to me - Exercise Induced Collapse. It is an inherited condition in labs - it is almost exclusively in field lines. It is sometimes also called CNM.