Itchy monster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itchy monster

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultItchy monster

Since Billie is on house arrest until the end of June for her heartworm treatment...I know she's frustrated and bored. We're working on keeping her brain busy and she's on my hip every moment I'm home so she's not crated all the time.

I've noticed though that she's an itchy monster all of the sudden. Scratching, biting at her paws and even scootching once in a while (though I had her glands expressed a couple of weeks ago while she was at the vets getting treated for the heartworm). She is vocal about it, like it's really bothering her, which really makes me upset too. I don't want her to be any more uncomfortable than she already is.

My neighbors tell me their lab is itchy too, maybe from the air conditioning kicking in and the dry air? Or am I crazy to think it could be her expressing her frustration and boredom by obsessively itching? Any suggestions on how I could get it stopped? I'm going to call the vet but I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions as well.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Itchy monster

I'd double check if one of the side-effects of the heartworm treatment might be itching.

However, yes dogs can itch from boredom too.

Laura

BudGirl8 Guest

Thanks Laura. I was wondering about that too. Her tummy has been a little upset as well. I guess I better just get on the phone and see if I need to take her in or if this is all related to the heartworms getting out of her system.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw, poor thing That must be so rough having to stay quiet for so long. I don't know how you're managing it!

Simon has been a bit itchy lately as well. Lots of scratching his tummy. He also very regularly gets a drippy nose, so I was wondering if his were seasonal allergies.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

labby is offline Senior Member

I had a heartworm + dog but it was way back in 1981. I know the meds and treatment have changed since then so I can't help on that part. I do know the body does react to the worms being killed so I think calling the vet is a good idea.

Laura

any change in food?

BudGirl8 Guest

No change in food. I thought about it after all this recall crap but with the heartworm I didn't want to further stress her body with another change.

Just called and talked to the vet...the itchy and the tummy stuff isn't related to the heartworm as far as she knows but she's had quite a few people calling about itchy dogs and as long as Billie is on Frontline (she is) she's guessing it's allergies. She said to start with Benadryl and see if that helps.

Connie, I'm telling you the poor kid is miserable and I'm miserable for her (and with her). Keeping her tied to me makes getting anything done really difficult, and you'd be amazed and how little space it takes for her to butt-tuck so even blocking off the smallest area is tough. The little bedroom her crate is in is where she and I do private time since that's my office, and she's in there with me to snuggle up and just chill and I let her loose with me in the kitchen and gate it off since its hard for her to get a run going on linoleum. She's getting more and more vocal about her displeasure with this being strapped down thing all the time too. I get a lot of verbal sass...

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I wonder if the purple solution would help. You'll have a purple lab, but better than an itchy lab.

our trainer's dog had rashes on his tummy...always scratching. She used the purple stuff and Bradley got instant relief.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    I wonder if the purple solution would help. You'll have a purple lab, but better than an itchy lab.

our trainer's dog had rashes on his tummy...always scratching. She used the purple stuff and Bradley got instant relief.
    Hmmm. If I could find the stuff to make it I'd try it. I can't find the purple in the purple stuff. The violet. I have the other ingredients from my last attempt to get it made.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

You probably can get the gentian violet online.
    Not too many of our local drug stores sell it.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast