Question about our soon to be puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about our soon to be puppy

jarvisj is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about our soon to be puppy

O.K. so here is the deal, My wife had been looking around for a new addition to our family for quite some time when she feel in love with a picture of a lab puppy on petfinder.com. The rescue kennel was near our area so we looked into it to see what info we could find out. The Rescue Kennel's website seems to be very upstanding and after speaking with the owner we felt pretty good about our rescue adoption. We had the kennel hold the puppy for a week in order to get our bearing's and get the house ready for the new arrival. Well during that week the puppy came down with some sort of respiratory illness and our adoption was delayed until she has a clean bill of health. So I guess my question is how many of you have gone about adopting a puppy in this "blind" fashion. And most importantly does this sound common (speaking about the respiratory illness) in kennel life. I sort of liken it to a daycare where germs are constantly being passed. The fact that the Adoption Kennel was up front and has told us everything that has been going on makes me feel like they are a reputable place, but there is always that skeptic in the back of my mind that worries about getting a sickly or ill type dog. Can anyone offer any words of encouragement here or relay any similar situations they have been in?

Thanks I appreciate your time!
    JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: Question about our soon to be puppy

Over here, if you adopt a puppy, or a dog out of a animal shelter or a kennel, they checked the dog from A to Z if you get what i mean

And that is the minimal thing they could do, if you take such dog in you're home

TimC. is offline Senior Member

It's not uncommon for a puppy to get sick in these situations. The fact that they told you up front that the pup got sick is a good sign I think I would trust them. Just to be on the safe side see if you can get insurance even if its only for the first couple of months.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jarvisj is offline Junior Member

I do feel that the pup will be checked over A-Z because the Vet has to authorize or give permission to give the dog to it's new owners (us)!

Also, thanks for the advice on insurance. Where does one go to get said insurance, is it expensive?

Thanks
    JAJ

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I think kennel cough is pretty common in this type of situation, and I agree that it's good they were up front about it. You can take the puppy to the vet right away and have it checked out, and most shelters/rescues say that they will take the puppy back within 48 hours if it does not get a clean bill of health.

We adopted Angus from a shelter and he came home with worms and kennel cough. Both were easily cleared up.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

georgie is offline Senior Member

It shoulds like they were very upfront about the dog. I hope everything works out & you get the dog soon.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Lots of people adopt from the internet. That is why rescues and Petfinder are so successful. The rescue wouldn't make you hang on to a pup that you didn't click with. We make sure that when you meet the dog it's a good fit before we send you on your way.

KC is very common and it will be easily cleared up.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I use Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) The amount you pay is dependant on the breed, age, and weight. Oona is 7 and I pay $42 a month. Earlier this year she broke a tooth and had to have it removed. They reimbursed me for 60% of the cost. If she were ever to get Cancer they would cover 100% of the cost. You would have to check to see how much it would be for a puppy.
    Olie

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Hey we have VPI for my cat, Roxie May, we wanted to test it on her cuz its cheaper then a dog. I haven't had to use it yet, thank god. But I'm pleased with it and we'll be getting it for the other two cats and apollo as well. I'd reccomend VPI they are pretty good.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have no objection to people getting health insurance for their pets but I do not because I think it's more expensive for the average healthy pet.

Consumer Reports ran an article several years ago on pet health in which pet health insurance was mentioned and they did not recommend it.

I recently saw an article on health costs for humans and one of the reasons health care is so high in the USA is that 30% of each $$$ is spent on administrative costs in health insurance. I can see no reason that the 30% margin would be any lower for pet health insurance than for people health insurance.

Some health insurance plans require you to see certain doctors and those plans have agreements with those doctors to accept a lower rate of reimbursement in return for a potential greater number of clients. They have limits in how much they will pay and exclusions of certain disorders or for pre-existing conditions.

Health plans for people that are part of an employment package are an element in the overall attractiveness of a job.

Health plans for pets are something that one pays for 100% out of one's own pocket.

Health plans for pets are offered by corporations that must satisfy the profit demands of the share holders, pay the executives, managers, clerks, salespeople, claim evaluators, the vets, office space, etc.

My opinion is that if your pet has above average health problems that the insurance will take care of, it may be less expensive to you.

But if your pet is average or below average in health problems, I can see no way that health insurance could be less expensive.

Now if you work for a company that offers pet health insurance along with family health insurance, by all means seriously consider it!! ;D

BTW, if you live within driving distance of a School or College of Vet Med, their teaching hospitals often allow self-referral and I've found (as have several others in other states) the level of care to be very high and the costs reasonable to low.

JMO
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast