I must be weird...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be weird...

DefaultI must be weird...

... because I kind of hope Harley will go through the kind of insane, bipolar, lunatic phase young Labs have such a reputation for. I mean, the great noble beautiful grown up Lab is a good thing and I do hope he gets there, but I am also looking forward to the 'Marley and Me' kind of dog too..

We had a Yellow Lab about 12 years ago and were totally unprepared for the hurricane we adopted. I mean we had no idea whatsoever what we were getting into. This dog ate a CLOCK RADIO! for gosh sake! We left it for him so he would have some noise while we were gone and when we came back, half was missing and the rest was in pieces. We found Calvin a new home shortly after that, but in the intervening years, we have always remarked how much we missed Calvin and it has always gone without saying that when we got a new dog, it would be a Lab. So here we are again, and now I'm looking forward to the insanity. I kind of feel like "Bring it on..."

BTW, the Harley/Marley rhyming thing is just a coincidence. Don't blame me for the name, I wanted to call him either Hobbes or Dante...

Kevin
    Last edited by kdryan; 06-12-2009 at 12:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Good Luck! You'll need it! Unless you get a Milly like Sarah! Milly is a little angel and none of us believe her when she says Milly was bad!

Or you could get a Sam-wise! His exploits are legendary!

Labs are fun at any stage though, so I know what you mean by looking forward to it! They're just so dern adorable when they're bad!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

sarah is offline Senior Member

Oh Milly is naughty when she wants to be..... I should take a picture of our laundry door that is slowly disappearing She (as do alot of other Lab's) has a sweet tooth for wood.

I don't understand though (to the OP) why you got rid of your gorgeous lab because he destroyed a clock radio??
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Oh Milly is naughty when she wants to be..... I should take a picture of our laundry door that is slowly disappearing She (as do alot of other Lab's) has a sweet tooth for wood.

I don't understand though (to the OP) why you got rid of your gorgeous lab because he destroyed a clock radio??

I missed that part!

Your new lab is going to tear all kinds of stuff up too! So be prepared for that. If I had rehomed my dogs for everything they tore up....well I'd have a LOT of Labs by this point!!!

I can post pics of Sam's exploits alone! Sarah knows ALL ABOUT the carpeting/spare bedroom

I seriously hope you're prepared for the havoc this new puppy can wreak!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
    I missed that part!

Your new lab is going to tear all kinds of stuff up too! So be prepared for that. If I had rehomed my dogs for everything they tore up....well I'd have a LOT of Labs by this point!!!

I seriously hope you're prepared for the havoc this new puppy can wreak!
    Ditto that!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Brag warning - - -

Blaise's only desruction so far has been one shoe (a very expensive one) and one of my husband's CDs. Not bad in 4 months. He is pretty good about sticking to the Nylabones and 850 other toys we have strewn about the room.

Oh - and he and his partner in crime took 2 lovely flowering bushes all the way down to the ground - just ate them. But we fenced the garden off from them and the bushes actually grew back. No harm!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sharon - why havent I see Blaise pictures?? Have you posted any? How could I have missed them?

Not because of the radio, but because we realized we weren't prepared for what owning a blonde Tasmanian Devil entailed. We truly loved Calvin, but we lived in a small second floor, two bedroom apartment. This was before any thoughts of children, when we were just married a couple of years and very much into ourselves and our little wants. It just wasn't the atmosphere he needed to be in, and we weren't capable of giving him what he really needed, which was space and LOTS of attention.

Now, we are much older with different priorities, we have 7 yo boy/girl twins, a house with a yard (actually a duplex, but plenty of room and we'll be moving to a house soon).

Kevin

Fair enough, I think it was great that you recognised that and found a good forever home for Calvin. Your first post didn't read like that though lol... sorry! Harley is a cutie BTW, and I am sure you will get your fair share of mischief with him in the coming months!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think management is key. Baloo has never destroyed anything of value, but it's not because he's *that* good, it's because we were really good about supervising him and crating when we couldn't. He never had the opportunity to be destructive. I assure you, if he'd had the opportunity he would have wreaked massive havoc.

When it comes to health problems and labs, obstructions scare me a LOT. They're up there with HD, ED, bloat and the "C" word.

Wanted to add, no worries, I'm sure you'll have more frenetic energy than you'll know what to do with soon enough. I predict you'll be eating the above posted words many times over.
    Last edited by Baloo317; 06-12-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast