Titer Test Results

Thread: Titer Test Results

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultTiter Test Results

I posted this in H & N, but thought I would ask in Lab Chat as well:

I had titer testing done last year for the first time, having vaccinated for parvo, distemper etc. with a combo shot in 2007).....planning on doing the 3 year protocol, but checking titers each year to make sure all is okay. I again had titers tested last week for parvo, distemper etc. Today I took Dee in for her "every three years" rabies vaccination and my Vet had the results of two of the titer tests. Parvo was good at 1/50, but distemper was low at 1/10. He's still waiting on the Lepto and one other. I was really surprised by this because I just assumed after only two years that both would still be fine. Anyone else had a titer come back low in only two years?

I'm waiting a few weeks before I go back in for any more vaccines as she just had her rabies vaccine. He doesn't have all the results back yet either. I just wondered if it is common for a distemper titer to come back low after only two years.

Any comments/insight appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bumping.

Anyone? I know some of you do titering.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I've never had titers run on anything but I will come January. We'll check the phenobarb level on Flynn.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great thing to do -- I'll ask my vet when I take Puff in next week.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Sounds like a great thing to do -- I'll ask my vet when I take Puff in next week.
    Bob, I would be interested in what your Vet thinks of titering. I seem to be one of a very few people doing it in my area (if not the only one). I'm sure the vast majority are still vaccinating annually here.

The fact that one titer (distemper) has already come back as low is rather disappointing. From what I've read I really thought immunity would be good for much longer and that the three year protocol that many now follow would be fine. Now I'm at just under two years and already have at least the one titre that's too low. It costs a lot more to titer here than it does to vaccinate, but as over-vaccinating really worried me I decided to try the titering. Now it looks like the distemper vaccination didn't even make the two year mark.

I would guess that the majority of people following the three year protocol are not titering each year to check numbers, but now I don't feel as confident about this as I did. Perhaps there's more to it than titer numbers??? Of course I will revaccinate, but that throws the three year protocol out the window for us.

I thought I might get a few more responses from people who already are doing the titering, but maybe there aren't that many of us.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 06-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.