Awesome tip from my vet.

Thread: Awesome tip from my vet.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

DefaultAwesome tip from my vet.

With Indy having to be on his antibiotics for yet, another week (this will be a total of 4), he is becoming increasingly difficult to get his antibiotics down, and even his regular pills cuz he knows I'm trying to trick him (this is the dog that chews each individual piece of dog food instead, he is soooo not a gulper)..... the bratface will not take his pill meatball, nor in hotdogs, peanut butter, broken up in ice cream, spirinkled on his food with gravy mixed.....grrrr and he stopped eating because the antibioics mess with his tummy....

Well the good news/trick....... FIG NEWTONS...TaDaaaaaaa.... I put the pill in the middle (the stickiness is the trick)....then take a bite of the opposite end...all the while he's watching as I make the "num nummy" sounds... WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!

(I even bought some lower end dog food to stimulate his appetite, yes it has corn, but after losing 22 pounds in the last year, I'm just happy he's eating again!!!!)

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

That is great idea. I will add that one to my list of sneaky snacks. The last time Coco and Abbey had to have pills (and got stubborn about taking them) I tried that cheese in a can (tip from my Sis-in-law). They sat and watched me squeeze it on and gobbled it up like it was a cracker and cheese snack.
    When you have to get meds down them I will try almost anything. Those pups get smarter and smarter all the time.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am so happy that I don't have this problem. HK gets her pills in a glob of PB. I can't seem to get it from my finger to her mouth fast enough.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

We use liverwurst. Windsor has to have 3 pills twice a day and he sits at the counter while they are wrapped up in the liverwurst. Then he almost bites your fingers off!

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Normally he's pretty good... he gets on an average of either 6 or 9 pills a day (Rimadyl and Tramadol), which he never complained about the meatball before and we've been doing this for five years......but the antibiotics are big ole green pills and must be bigger as heck because he's getting smarter with each trick...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).