Pondering sterilization...your opinions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pondering sterilization...your opinions...

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

DefaultPondering sterilization...your opinions...

First off, I'm not a breeder, nor do I want to have a slew of puppies around, with that being said...I'm just curious as to the responses this might get...

In my "blonde" mind this is what I have noticed as of late....My Golden Retriever (who passed away at 12) and Indy (who will be 11 tomorrow) were both neutered...Both of them had the fatty tumors, Nannook came to me with mast cell tumors which were removed, but four years later succomed to congestive heart failure due to cancer.... also, Indy has NUMEROUS fatty tumors and nonfatty tumors, one of which was removed from his toe two weeks ago (we did not do histology on the tumor because it wouldnt change my treatment course on him)....

Now Jobe, who will be 9 in August is an "intact" male (intact I say because he had frostbite on his "boys" and cannot reproduce any longer but still has the boys)...he does not have one fatty tumor, lump, or bump on his body..

My question is, has anyone else noticed this to be true when neutering? It makes me wonder if I should just keep my future males intact...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Based on research I did a few years ago, and please don't take it as authority.

Fatty tumors more influenced by diet, weight, and genetics than any neutering.

Cancer potential is definitely linked to neutering/spaying, age when also plays a factor. Check out the WoodhavenLabs site for some insight into this topic. Some cancer potential increased by early spaying, some decreased. Same for later spaying, some increase, some decrease, but different cancers involved.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thanks HK dad....Its always in the back of my mind that I caused their problems by neutering....(Just wanting to get my 20 year warranty out of the next lab ) ...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

that's just luck. my 8 year old intact boy has about 4 fatty tumors, one he's had for about 3 years already. So there is no corrolation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    that's just luck. my 8 year old intact boy has about 4 fatty tumors, one he's had for about 3 years already. So there is no corrolation there.

See, I wasnt sure, just my ponderings as of late being a worried neurotic mom... but ya know, I think you should send me a couple of your boys just to make sure They are gorgeous...I'll take a 3-pack please...

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

How did poor Jobe get frostbite on his testicles?!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    How did poor Jobe get frostbite on his testicles?!
    He was from what was considered a puppy mill. Their dogs didnt have ample coverage from the cold, and because he lays like a "frog dog", he ended up with frostbite on his "biddy bumps" (at least this is what we were told)...then when he couldnt produce after trying many times, they just threw him out, abusing and neglecting him...

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

OMG why did I ask?!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Samson is offline Senior Member

I had my old Lab neutered on vets advice to reduce the likelyhood of cancer !

Both of my boys are neutered and it took a while for me to come round to it but I think that it is the best option if you have no intentions of breeding !

The only choice that now leaves you with is when and that's a whole other discussion !

I favour 12 months from the advice that I have received !

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Intact males can also have issues with prostatitis and chronic UTIs.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast