Behavior with strangers. Does your dog ever.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behavior with strangers. Does your dog ever.....

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultBehavior with strangers. Does your dog ever.....

......selectively bark at people?

The other day I had Sally with me in Home Depot. We were looking around pricing several items. Almost everyone we passed came up and gave the usual "Oh, what a pretty dog. May I pet her?" And, I said yes....and they made over her for a little while. Both customers and HD employees were friendly with her. She loves it! Very friendly and very well-behaved.

Then when we were looking at some PVC, a HD guy was there helping us. I had Sally sitting nicely beside me while I talked to the guy. Another HD employee approached and gave the usual "What a nice looking dog. May I pet her?"

I said sure, and he very nicely approached with his hand out for her to sniff, but she backed up and started barking her head off. Not an aggressive go-for-him bark, but more of a defensive bark. She did NOT like him one bit.

I kind of felt sorry for him because he certainly wasn't doing anything wrong. He did say that he had just come from his stable and horses, so maybe she didn't like the horse smell (no offense, Laura!).

But right after that little episode, we left to check out. She was back to friendly mode, even rolling over on her back to let a HD guy give her a belly rub right there at the check-out!

I'm sure this has happened to y'all....this selective barking at only certain people. What do you say to those people?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We had a guy come through our aisle at the National Mini show a few years ago. Now, people had been coming and going all week- not a peep from any of the dogs. This comes down and ALL THREE dogs go ballistic! Forrest NEVER barks at people at shows- he was bristling and growling. It was amazing.... the guy was panhandling and we sent him on his way. If my DOG doesn't like you, I don't like you either.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

blackjack is offline Senior Member

BJ does this too. He is great with almost everybody at the dog park but every once in a while he barks at someone when they come near. I usually call him to me or get him focused on his ball again but it is kinda embarrassing. One time he barked at a lady that he knows very well and we decided it was her hat because she normally does not wear one.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie does have a bark that goes right through you if she sees someone approaching our house!!!

She isn't as social as she should be!

Samson is offline Senior Member

I used to work part time in a pub near to a care home !

The carers would sometimes bring their clients in with them and the Alsation guard dog would automatically retreat to the back room and wouldn't return until they had gone !

They have a sixth sense - of that I'm certain !

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi does that with people and other dogs! She is fine then just randomly will bark at a person or dog- no rhyme nor reason! Man I wish they could talk

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

If my DOG doesn't like you, I don't like you either.

My sentimemts EXACTLY!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Shelbz is offline Senior Member

Shelby has done this too a few times, my neighbor who she has interacted with numerous times but will not go directly up to him and let him pet her, she will play, fetch etc, but will not get close him and will just bark. She did this to a guy at the dog park the other day, would not stop barking everytime she came near him, I personally don't like the guy, his attitude comes across as "mr know it all" I suppose she senses that.... But not sure why she is that way with the neighbor.....
    Just a walk in the park....

I'm pretty sure someone would rob the house and Moose would still go nuts trying to get the robber to pet him. The day when Moose meets a person and doesn't feel the need to run up and jump all over them will be a great day.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
    I'm pretty sure someone would rob the house and Moose would still go nuts trying to get the robber to pet him. The day when Moose meets a person and doesn't feel the need to run up and jump all over them will be a great day.
    awwwww

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast