Troubles with Sam and Apollo
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubles with Sam and Apollo

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultTroubles with Sam and Apollo

(for background on the situation read the thread about apollo nipping at sam)

Now I'm frustrated. I came all the way back to sam's house tonight and I had to stop studying cuz I was really upset about apollo nipping at sam's crotch.

I am trying to stay calm and project a sense of calm for apollo but I'm frustrated with Sam. I will need to go to my dorm tommorow night and so sam will have to walk apollo. Sam's at the store right now, I told him. "pick up some kosher hot dogs for apollo.Tommorow when you walk him just crumble the hot dog and pop pieces in his mouth the whole walk so that he doesn't freak out." Sam is frustrated with apollo and he's like "I don't wanna get anything for that do after he tried to bite my crotch." I am trying to explain to sam without freaking out that he NEEDS to keep calm, unattached, and neutral around apollo, that he can't be 'angry' with apollo cuz apollo will pick up on that and only be more fearful of sam, but sam's not listening he's not just letting it go. I understand he's frustrated with apollo but I feel that if sam keeps his attitude like this then apollo will stay fearful, then apollo will bite, then sam will be pissed, then apollo will be fearful......and it will just go in a cycle. I am begging sam to please ignore apollo when he's in the house and distract him with food when he has to walk him and I can't be there. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Any tips on how to train sam? If he doesn't drop the "im upset with you" attitude towards apollo then apollo is NEVER gunna trust him. OMG I need a friggen drink after all this!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Screw the dog, its my b/f that needs to be trained

He'll get over it. Give him some time.

Sounds as if there might be more to your problem than you realize.

Sam doesn't like Apollo. He seems to have no patience for him.
    Also sounds to me like two males are competing for your attention.

Is there a possibility that Sam actually did do something to Apollo? Perhaps, when you're not around?

Maybe Apollo snapped at his crotch and Sam reacted?

Question.....Are you FORCING Sam to be part of Apollo's life? Maybe he doesn't want to have anything to do with a hyper lab.

my .02 cents

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    Any tips on how to train sam?
    Shock collar.

Laura

Some people aren't cut out for it.

I had a foster Golden - who was actually intended to be "my dog" who was there on trial. After he bit me and Luke, I was pissed- I had spent a lot of time, money, and energy with this dog (he had pneumonia, kennel cough, other issues)- then it happened again repeatedly- and then he went back to the rescue. I can understand a bit of what Sam is feeling- he's stressed about the move and he's spending a lot of time, energy, and money on this damn dog and this is what he gets?

Can Apollo live with you and your mom when you get here? Your mom loves dogs right? What if you just level with her and say that Apollo is actually Sams dog, but has all these issues, etc?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think it is understandable that Sam is upset with the situation. Patience is the key here but we only have so much of it. Everyone has a limit. Apollo snapping last night probably made Sam wonder why he is still bothering. As someone said in the other thread, it will get worse before it gets better.

I realise how big an issue this is for both or you but I think you should step back for awhile. I find that the more intensely you focus on something negative the worse you feel.

I think Sam must realise that Apollo's insecurities will never go away. He WILL improve with time but they will not go completely. On the grand scale of things you haven't had Apollo very long. A few months, right? it is still early days.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Shock collar.
    +1. Attached to his crotch.

I don't remember Apollo's history, what is his history with men? I really think Apollo was abused by a man where ever he came from, if he is this scared of Sam, you have to consider that is a possibility. Apollo may never get along with Sam, you have to also consider that as well.

I'm sorry but I would be totally cautious if any dog, snapped at someone or another animal. I would be like Sam (even though I'm not a guy) and be pissed, wouldn't you if you where in his shoes?

I had a dog nip me, I knew this dog, this dog was in my apartment for almost two months, you could sit be side this dog, but if the dog wasn't please with something she would snap, growl, and nip.

We were trying to wake her up, we called her, she ignored us, she ended up getting pissed at us and nipping and snapping at us. That dog ended up booted out as soon as the original owner came back from the hospital (the owner went into a home for the elderly, but broke her hip, she took the dog back though after explaining), the dog didn't attack her! The dog was older about 10 yrs old.

She attacked everyone in my grandmother's family for no reason, I just think the dog was nuts. I'm surprised that my grandmother ended up keeping Vickki for us!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Shock collar.

LMAO!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Sam really loves apollo but he's frustrated with him. To be honest I don't blame him, apollo has destroyed alot of sam's stuff, embarrased sam in front of the whole apartment complex by screaming and whining, etc. I know for a fact that sam has never done ANYTHING to apollo, not even raised his voice at him. Thats why we are so baffled. When its all three of us apollo is fine with sam, he goes up to sam and wags his tail he trys to get sam to play. But when its just the two of them thats when the problems happen.

As for FORCING sam to be apart of apollo's life, no not really. And apollo is actually the most mellow un-hyper lab ever. Sam is just frustrated cuz when we adopted an ADULT dog we were expecting to get one that was housebroken, chew trained, and issue free. Apollo was none of these things. He's peed in the house, ripped crown molding off of doors, and just been a real challenge. Sam and I never wanted a challenge, if we did we would have gotten a puppy, but we love apollo and we want to work with him, its just frustrating to no end. Sam gets frustrated when apollo freaks out with him for no apparnt reason. This dog is like jekel and hyde and its confusing us all.

Its just intestly frustrating. Right now I have a dorm room but I usually spend the night at sam's apartment. The nights when I am away sam has to walk apollo but that's when the issues start, the nipping the whining, the screaming. As soon as I come home he acts totally normal around sam. I'm tired of being his security blanket, I wish he could see that he has nothing to fear about sam. The longer this goes on the harder it becomes for sam and I to be calm, collected, and not upset. Its frustrating as hell when you are frustrated but can't show it cuz the dog will freak out.

As for apollo staying at my mom's apartment, I was HOPING to do that temporarily (while sam looks for a job and an apartment) but he's over their weight limit and to top it off, my mom's already on a shoestring with her complex cuz her dog just recently nipped a maintenance man.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast