Apollo snapped at sam today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apollo snapped at sam today

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultApollo snapped at sam today

I am at my dorm room tonight studying for my exams, sam is at home with apollo. He was walking apollo tonight for me and apollo as usual was being a fool. What he does is this, he runs ahead of sam, chokes himself on his collar and then freaks out. He NEVER does this with me, its almost like he's 'setting sam up' and making him look like the bad guy. Then apollo kept bumping into Sam, so sam kind used the leash to bring apollo away from him and apollo went nuts and snapped at sam. Sam's giving him the benefit of the doubt, he thinks apollo thinks hes in trouble (he ate sam's $60 sandels, re-destroyed the futon, and chewed the cap off a bottle) Sam says he will give apollo more chances, but if apollo turns agressive on him he doesn't think he can handle that. I am really worried that apollo is gunna go agressive on sam and then sam will have to rehome him. I need help guys, what do I do?????? Why is this happening damn it.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Apollo snapped at sam today

I think it's very nearly impossible to diagnose/treat a problem like this over the internet. :-\

I think you should contact a professional ASAP, because based on your previous posts, it sounds like this behaviour is escalating.

Best of luck, I hope it works out!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks, we are moving in a week and once we are able to afford it, we are taking him to a private trainer asap. Ugh.....I don't get why this is escalating. But if we can't fix this soon, then I fear sam will not want an agressive dog in the house, I don't blame him. I WILL NOT give away apollo, I am desperately hoping that a trainer can help. If he turns agressive to sam I don't know what we will do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Why is Sam walking Apollo by himself?

I'm going to be really blunt here: Recall last week, the desensitization programme ? Please, you really need to set this programme up, and strictly follow it.. you're setting Apollo up for failure here.

In the meantime, might I re-recommend some cesar-ized wisdom?

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/cesar/philosophy.php
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

and dude, dogs don't "turn aggressive"

There's ALWAYS a reason
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Apollo is being walked by sam because I am at my dorm room tonight. I will not always be able to be home with apollo, especially now that we are moving (I will be living with my parents). Apollo HAD to go outside tonight he HAD to be taken on a potty break.

And YES, we have set up a desensitization program. And we are strictly following it. I don't feel like I'm setting him up for failure I'm taking the advice that everyone gave me, but like I said its unrealistic for me to always be there when he is getting walked. What am I supposed to do if i can't be there 24/7 with this dog? Apollo will be living with SAM when we move (i'm moving in with my parents and apollo isn't allowed there) so we are gunna have to figure something out. Our desensitization program is doing NOTHING to make apollo less afraid of sam when its just him and sam, EVEN when sam flat out ignores apollo.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

There's ALWAYS a reason
    Who are you calling, dude, I'm confused.

I KNOW why apollo snapped at sam tonight, its fear based agression (cuz apollo was beaten by a man).

It sounds like it needs to become a very high priority to get Apollo to work with Matt when he gets here and into that shy dog class.

You said he choked himself on his collar? - How? He can't do that on a martingale or a buckle collar. Sam may need to practice walking a "normal" dog too.

And in one of your pictures from yesterday he appeared to have a chain collar on. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

There's ALWAYS a reason
    Who are you calling, dude, I'm confused.

I KNOW why apollo snapped at sam tonight, its fear based agression (cuz apollo was beaten by a man).
    Sorry, I call everyone "dude", my bad it slipped out :-[

Dogs live in the now. the fact that he was beaten previously is not what's on his mind today. I'm just saying that the environment that the dog lives in at the time is always the cause of their behaviour, good or bad.

Dogs don't have memories like humans. I'm not saying that what happened to him doesn't have an effect on him, but I have dealt extensively with abused dogs, and I can tell you that their current environment is always their numero uno priority, and their reactions always come from actions taken in the NOW.

I would strongly suggest having a look at cesar's philosophy, I think that some reading of his stuff would give you an excellent idea of exactly what's goin on and some ideas about what to do.....
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast