White Labs...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Labs...

DefaultWhite Labs...

Please forgive the ignorance of this question, but I know absolutely nothing about dog breeding, and have always been curious about this...

I have on occasion seen Labs that were either white or so light yellow, that they appeared white. Personally I have always thought that they were beautiful dogs and would love to have one. But it's my understanding that this is undesirable for some reason and have even heard stories of breeders putting puppies down for being white.

Why on earth would people not want this? They're simply gorgeous dogs and there's no way you'll convince me that the color of a dog's coat is in any way detrimental to the breed. Certainly not more that inbreeding them to the point where hip problems are a way of life...

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Those labs are officially yellow, but you're right....they are beautiful. Any breeder that would have a puppy put down because of the color of it's coat is not a breeder. It's a puppy mill! There are no words to describe how despicable that is.

I have no idea if the coat is undesirable for whatever reason. Maybe the show people can answer that for you. I know a dog has to adhere to strict standards to win in the shows. But I also know any breeder with even a slight reputation will not put a puppy down because it was born with a coat that can't be shown.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Here's a good page on shades within yellow put together by one of our own esteemed members: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellows.html For more detail on coat color genetics, see http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm

The more experienced folks can comment on the desirability of very light cream coloring, but I have seen pretty light-colored dogs at shows. Certainly no reputable breeder would put a puppy down for something so trivial as coat color.
    Last edited by theoconbrio; 06-11-2009 at 01:05 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well I may have been wrong about the putting the down part, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that. They're still gorgeous dogs though...

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Our first Lab, Annie, was a "white" lab. White all over, except for her ears and a little light yellow spot down her back.

Hunter is offline Senior Member

I have a Yellow Lab that is pure white with just a speckle of yellow at the tip of his tail. Came from a litter of 13, Hunter and his brother were born white while the others were darker. I always figured he would turn more yellow as he got older, he never did. Both parents were dark yellow.

Hunter - 7 years old in this pic

One of my favorite pics, Hunter at about 3 months old with the old man Garth

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am not sure where you heard that, but there is absolutely no truth that the light shades of yellow are undesireable. Unless you were reading up on old-time labrador history, and before the 1950's when yellows got really popular, it was still common practice to cull the unwanted puppies. That included the chocolate ones and sometimes the yellows. The reason being that the ORIGINAL lab was black.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I've never heard this in reference to labs, but, many years ago I heard about putting down white pups from Great Dane or Boxer litters, because a lot of them are born deaf or blind or both. I think they thought it was a genetic disorder and put the pups down. I don't know if this is still done or not, as I've seen many pictures of white boxers.

labby is offline Senior Member

Dalmatian breeders used to put down patch puppies at birth. (puppies not born all white). They've only stopped doing it within the past 20 years or so.

Laura

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

HI and welcome.

I love them all!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast