Docking and cropping

View Poll Results: Do you feel the AKC/UKC should ban the docking of tails and cropping of ears in certain breeds, ie:

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, tail docking and ear cropping should be banned by the registries

28 41.79%
  • No, docking and cropping are decisions that should be left up to the individual pet owner

30 44.78%
  • I have no opinion on the matter

9 13.43%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Docking and cropping

DefaultDocking and cropping

Banned in Europe and Australia as well as several other countries, tail docking and ear cropping happens routinely in several breeds recognized by the AKC and UKC registries.

What are our feelings on this practice? Are we behind the times in that we still allow this to go on? Or are we right for allowing the individual pet owner to decide whether or not to dock/crop their pet.

Do you support legilsation on the matter? Or is banning the practice by the main registries the way to end cropping and docking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Docking and cropping

I don't have a problem with it. I prefer doberman and great danes with docked ears, and if I owned one of these breeds, I would dock the ears.

I don't mind breeds that dock tails either.

I just read an interesting article written by a Dobie handler/breeder/owner who felt that it would actually be dangerous to NOT dock ears on a dobe because that is their signature look and could be deceiving to the general public. He feels that if their ears were floppy, they present a more benign, friendly appearance and people might not be as cautious around them as they are with their ears up.
    Not sure if I completely buy that but I do see his point.
    I prefer a Boxer with the ears down rather than cropped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I also don't have a problem with docking and cropping. If some people prefer not to do it, it's their prerogative. But if I had one of those breeds, I most likely would have it done.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

It don't know if I support it or not, but I feel it should be the owner's choice. If I had a rottie I'd want a docked tail, but is what I find cosmetically appealing really a good reason to dock a tail? Maybe, maybe not. Still, it should be the owners choice IMO.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I much prefer the oh naturale... I don't think that we have a right to be physically altering body parts for solely aesthetic purposes. Cropping and docking hurts!

I think there's like, one vet in all of southern ontario that will still crop ears, all the others are saying "no", and I say good for them.

I would love to see it banned, that would make me very happy. (note the minpin with the natural ears...) ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    I just read an interesting article written by a Dobie handler/breeder/owner who felt that it would actually be dangerous to NOT dock ears on a dobe because that is their signature look and could be deceiving to the general public. He feels that if their ears were floppy, they present a more benign, friendly appearance and people might not be as cautious around them as they are with their ears up.
    Not sure if I completely buy that but I do see his point.
    I prefer a Boxer with the ears down rather than cropped.
    Why is it a good thing for people to be cautious around them? A properly socialized dobe should present no threat, ears up or down!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I would like to know the reason why docking and cropping became a standard practice in those breeds. There must have been a reason for it besides cosmetic/aesthetic preferences.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I agree. If it WAS soley for cosmetic purposes in the past then why were only some breeds subjected to it, ya know? What made them choose THOSE breeds to dock and crop.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

this is from Wikipedia

Dogs

For the main article on this subject see Docking (dog)

As with other domesticated animals there is a long history of docking the tails of dogs. It is understood to date at least to the Roman empire.

The usual reason for docking dog breeds is to prevent injury to working dogs. For instance, it has been stated that a vermin's bite to the working dog's flop ears can lead to a systemic infection, a serious medical problem that wouldn't occur were there no flop ears to be bitten.

This is contested by a wide range of groups and is often considered a form of cruelty and torture. This has led to the practice being outlawed and made illegal throughout many countries, in some of which dogs are no longer bred for work, or used as working animals.

So mainly it was used as a way to prevent possible injury for working dogs. But if the dog isn't working, then there isn't any point.

Even if they are working, that the missing body parts made them "safer" was never substantiated.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast