Please help me decide on a food for Dakota

Thread: Please help me decide on a food for Dakota

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease help me decide on a food for Dakota

I have him on Nutro Max and I'm not that happy with it. The problem is he seems to have a sensitive tummy. He has trouble with soft stools. He did well on the Canidae Life Stages firm stools but packed on the pounds even with just a cup 2X a day. He was gassy on it which is why I switched. I was thinking of Canidae chicken and rice although I have never seen it in the store. Wellness was bad for him I think too rich. Also the midst of this decision is the damn recalls. Your sugestions are very welcome in this. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please help me decide on a food for Dakota

I have both Haylee and the cats on Eagle Pack. She is on the Duck and Oatmeal formula and has done really well on it. She also has sensitive tummy issues and we have had no problems at all. Her coat looks good and she is pretty much gas free!! (well, at least most of the time -- she can still clear the room every once in a while ;D) Good luck!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

How about trying Canidae again, but lessening the amount to 3/4 cups 2x a day?

I dunno. ??? Just throwing out suggestions.

We are feeding Canidae and Fromms Salmon & Veg (Angus gets Canidae, Simon gets Fromms). Simon was having anal gland issues, so our "food lady" suggested putting him on a fish diet to see what happened. The Salmon & Veg seems to have stopped the anal gland issues!

I like the Fromms. Seems like good quality. His coat looks great, great energy, and it also took care of some gunky ears.

Just thought I'd give my testimonial, although I know these are not the issues you're experiencing. Fromms has several formulas...maybe one of them would be worth a shot?

http://www.frommfamily.com

Click on "Four Star."

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Innova Evo and Raw. Sorry, but I swear by it ;D

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I honestly would love to feed raw, however I can not sel my mother on it. "That will make them blood thirsty. I just keep banging my head on the wall during the conversation. I can not convince her other wise.

debjen is offline Senior Member

I feed Riley who has been very gassy and bloated twice .. Nature's Recipe Easy to Digest Chicken, Rice and Barley..So far no recalls on it..

http://www.naturesrecipe.com/DogProd...dryChickenMeal

We tried a lot of different foods when he was younger because he was so gassy and tended towards loose stools and when we started this one he seemed to do the best.

Nature's Variety Raw Instinct

Grain Free, Ingrediants are all US sourced. Now it is made by Menu Foods but on a production line that never uses grain so no contamenation.

Cinnamon loves it. It is dense food so you use less but she has never noticed. She gets 1 cup at night now she does get a frozen raw patty from Nature's Variety for breakfast but that is my choice because she would rather sleep than eat in the morning

It took care of her gas and soft poop problems and her coat has never looked better. It is $45 for a 25 lbs bag but it is dense a bag last me 2 months and I feed both her and Cierra from it. I get it at my feed store as it is not sold at Petco or groceries. Store locator is on the website. http://www.naturesvariety.com/where.lasso?r=124760 They also address the recall issue on the site.

Wanted to add we started using it because of Cierra's allergies but Cinnamon's coat has never looked better and the minor redness on her feet that the vet said was a grass allergy and never goes away is gone.