Biking with your dog - need some ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biking with your dog - need some ideas

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBiking with your dog - need some ideas

I would like to bike with Rocky. The problem is - he's too slow and I don't think he appreciates the extreme cardio workout (our jogs are more than enough). I'll never get him to where I would like to have him and that's fine. But I also don't have a car and it would be helpful if I had a way to get places faster (thust he bike). Some places would take too long to walk and it gets expensive cabbing everywhere.

The only thing I can think of is maybe one of those baby things that people use for their children. But I'd have to make the splurge (even if it's second hand) and then see what I can do to make it work (a way to tie him in) - and even then there is no saying if he'll stay put.

Any ideas? tips? suggestions?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Biking with your dog - need some ideas

Rollerblades?

......... rollerblades and a wagon..??

I rollerblade with the minpin all the time. I find it's easier to speed up and slow down as needed than if you're on a bike.

Or... try one of these!!

http://justpetstrollers.com/happy_tr..._stroller.html

Rollerblade and push at the same time... (and I'm sure pink is TOTALLY "his" color!! ;D ;D ;D)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

AHHAHA - I don't think he'd even FIT in there but he'd certainly have an issue with the pink

I actually DO roller blade with him - but it is slow going. I tell you he has one speed. And sometimes we're going to flyball practice or another "dog" activity so that would mean he's too tired when we get there to do anything (I actually did roller blade to flyball for a few weeks last summer). And roller blading back after practice was a definite NO - that would be way too much for him (though at least it ment taxi only one-way or hitch a ride)

Trying to raise his stamina scares me a little - I don't want to push him, his heart, or his joints, more than I should. He's not like those "go-go-go" labs that are happy to run (like Dryf was). He's a slower paced kinda guy and loves to run but takes breaks to chew the ball and roll in the grass.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Ok ok ok.... hmmm

I've seen those cart things for kids that hook up to the back of the parents bikes, that would work. They have breathable mesh, but the "kids" (aka dogs!) are zippered in from the outside, so they can't just jump out. I'm sure once he was conditioned to it he'd be fine.

I don't think they're really "crazy" expensive. We sold them at Canadian Tire, I think they were like 100 - 200 bucks, around there?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'll never get him to where I would like to have him and that's fine.
    I think you answered your own question here. Some dogs are cut out for 'extreme' activities, others are not. Rocky sounds like the laid back type of guy who prefers a casual stroll rather than an all out run. As you know, you will struggle to battle against his personality...that is just the way he is.

One of my Labs, Maisy, is like Rocky. Prefers to do things at her own pace and is not interested in running or biking with me. Whereas my boys LOVE fast paced activity. Although we haven't been biking for a while (need a new bike) when we do they are fantastic companions. On leash they keep up with the pace and off leash they run around like nutters as usual.

Have you done any bike riding with Rocky before? I wonder if you are jogging with him as well if it is too much activity for him. Jogging and biking in a day is a lot to ask of any dog. I know that you also do flyball so it sounds as though Rocky is kept pretty active -- probably more so than the average dog.

Feeding the correct food is also important for an active dog. What are you feeding Rocky and how much of it? it might be beneficial to switch him to a performace food to boost his energy levels. The more active he is the more calories he burns. If he is burning more calories than he is consuming then he is going to be miserable and sluggish when asked to perform.

Felix Guest

Maybe a "DoggyRide" is a good idea ???

I use it with Laika all the time's, and if you put the wheels off, it is just an excellent bench!

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma is like Rocky.

We biked a lot when she was young up to 3 1/2-4years of age. Then we took a break a few months, when we started again she didn't want to. As you say she gets really slow so I understood she didn't want to bike anymore. That's fine by me.

I bought a ride for the bike (like the one Felix posted, but the kids version) She absolutely HATED it! ;D I guess she felt trapped inside it.

I figured Emma likes things best when I'm involved with the activities. She wants me to be on the ground with her. So from then on it's walks for us. Really long ones sometimes.

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone

I never jog AND do anything like roller blade or flyball on any given day. The bike or roller blade would be for days we don't jog and mostly with the goal of getting somewhere, not giving him exercise. I completely agree that he will never be (most likely) a dog that enjoys the bike - this is why I am looking for alternatives.

i wonder if an open cart would be better? More like a "wagon". But then he could take off.

Maybe I need to hit used baby stores and see what is available

Oh and I forgot to mention he just turned three - so it's not an age thing; strictly his personality. And yes - I try to keep him moving as much as possible.

Felix Guest

BTW, the roof of the doggy ride has a zipper

And also the front and the back has a zipper too ;D

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I've have seen many variations of the bicycle tow behind carts. I bet you should be able to find one used at a resonable cost. I have considered the same idea,as I like to bike and I feel guilty leaving the pups behind.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast