HELP! Need to de-skunk Thor!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Need to de-skunk Thor!

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

DefaultHELP! Need to de-skunk Thor!

I searched on here and DID find remedies for deskunking dogs, but they all say to use that 3% hydrogen peroxide. Is it going to change the color of Thor? He's black. Need advice NOW! Thank you =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP! Need to de-skunk Thor!

Hydrogen peroxide isn't the same peroxide that bleaches hair.........

I use vinegar...... we have somebody get skunked atleast once a year around here and vinegar works great.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Only used tomatoe juice and thats been quite awhile ago. However, not long enough to forget the skunk smell mixed with the tomatoe juice! Wow! But ---- it worked

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

Uh-oh.

A gallon of water cut with 1 cup of plain white vinegar has worked pretty well for me.

Take note, Thor will most likely smell like like a salad with vinegrette dressing for a while. :P :-X

Good luck!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I used white vinegar on him...I think it's mostly on his head...I'd rather him smell like vinegar than skunk! :-X Hopefully this smell goes away soon. Thanks again!

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I have a friend who swears by Dawn dishwashing liquid for de-skunking. He said it really does break up the oily stuff and get rid of the smell.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

I keep a bottle of Nature's Miracle (now called Petastic) Skunk Odor Remover around for just such emergencies. Whenever I use the bottle I go out and buy another to keep in the garage because you just know the day I don't have it will be skunk visitation day.. P.U.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by liveelayne
    I searched on here and DID find remedies for deskunking dogs, but they all say to use that 3% hydrogen peroxide. Is it going to change the color of Thor? He's black. Need advice NOW! Thank you =)
    Why? Don't want a yellow lab?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Good luck with deskunking. We did the peroxide thing with Cooper but because the bulk of the sprayed area was near his eye, we were limited with what we could use. Believe it or not, we actually tried.....douche. I had read somewhere (maybe here) that douche works to remove the smell. I went to Wal-Mart and bought four boxes of Massengil....the clerk just gave me an odd look and started ringing it through...I wonder what was going through her mind!

Bev.

My old dog used to get skunked all the time. We found that everytime it was damp out the dog smelled slightly skunky still. Good luck deskunking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast