Puppy will not listen to commands outside

Thread: Puppy will not listen to commands outside

DefaultPuppy will not listen to commands outside

Hello All,

We have an 8 month old male puppy who is a joy to be around....Except now that the weather is warmer we are spending alot of time outdoors. I've found that he doesn't listen to me AT ALL outside. He won't leave it, he won't come, he won't retrieve outside (he will do this inside - did this alot in our playroom over the winter - not throwing things far by any means but if we tossed something he would retrieve inside) anything I ask that he will routinely do inside he will not do outside now. Everything pretty much becomes a game of chase.

I desperately need help. It's not enjoyable at all to have him outside. We are fenced in so he is not on a leash...is that the solution?

Oh and we are in obedience training already.

TIA!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy will not listen to commands outside

I would suggest getting a long lead. We have a 20 foot lead that we use for training in the field. Many trainers suggest these. You can do actual exercises with the dog, down, sit, stay and gradually work your way out. Then when you yell come, you reel him in. He doesn't have a choice and when he gets there you praise praise praise.

If you are yelling the same command over and over again and he is disregarding you, change the command when you start training with the lead. He has learned that he doesn't have to listen to the come command if he doesn't want to. Use here instead or something that you can remember.

Just be patient. He isn't very old and he will need consistency to ensure that training sticks. Even older dogs will take advantage if you let them.

The lead training works wonders for us, especially with Petey who has a more independant field dog nature. He didn't always want to come, especially when he was on the trail of something he deemed worth it.

Good luck.

Even though you are fenced you should try putting a long line on him, if he wont leave it give it a tug, if you wont come, make him. Its not going to do anything with retreives but you can reinforce your other commands. If you are trying to teach retreives, do not let it revert to chase, walk away. Sometimes a good way to go is have 2 balls or bumpers toss one, use the other as a lure to bring him in once he drops toss the other and repeat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Dogs are not very good generalizing. So, they might not understand that "sit" inside is the same thing you want them to do when they are outside. Also, there are so many distractions outside, which are overpowering for an 8 months old (teenager). I would also suggest letting him drag a long lead while outside and using it to achieve desired behavior. If you are consistent, you soon will see great results and by the end of the summer will probably not need the long lead anymore.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Also, if you want him to be interested in playing fetch, you might want to get him a couple of new toys for outside. I'm sure the same old ball he's been playing with in the winter looks pretty boring compared to all the smells and sounds of the outside. But a new toy might just spark his interest.

I think our trainer at puppy school said that dogs learn spatially, so you need to teach them commands in each room, outside, etc.

I agree with the others, the long line worked for us. If you ask him to bring something back and you start chasing him the game has changed from "Retrieve" to "Chase".
    Olie

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

You have to remember too that he is in the prime of his adolescence and needs extra reinforcement in the training area right now. Figure out what will get him to at least look at you - instead of carrying some plain ol' milkbones, carry some cut up hot dog or chicken. One of my dogs loved squeaky toys and would stop and look at me with just a little squeak (again, practicing on a long lead). Reward, reward with whatever motivates him.
    Brenda from Connecticut