Scary moment with Brigetta.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary moment with Brigetta.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScary moment with Brigetta.

I took Brigetta out at around 11pm Saturday night. When I openend the sliding glass door she just stood there, so I said “Brigetta come” and sort of ran out the door. She followed me, did her business, but when we turned to go back in she started barking and wouldn't go any further. There were two people on the balcony above my apartment and she would not move. She barked, made a low growl, and had her tail between her legs and then tried to run off. The people backed up to their door so she couldn't see them but before I knew it, she pulled out of her collar and ran off. I felt like she pulled my arm out of the socket. First she ran towards the parking lot, a car was coming (slowly), I screamed for them to stop and she stood there in the headlights, I told her to come and she came towards me, but ran past me and ran off the the partially fenced area where we usually play. I ran after her and I told her to sit, which she did, and I was able to get her leash and collar back on. I could not coax her out of the play area back towards my apartment. I tried to stay calm so that she would relax, but ended up having to pick her up and carry her inside.
    The next morning she was fine.
    Some days I feel like she is doing so well. Nothing scares her, she is a normal dog, playing, running, etc. Other days, the smallest things set her off. Someone can have a new plant on their porch and she will freak out :-\ I just want her to be happy.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scary moment with Brigetta.

Awww poor Brigetta!

Glad she's OK now.

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

I am sorry Brigetta got so frightened. Maybe there was a different smell or sound that she detected that you didn't notice?? I am sure it is a little unnerving for you, too, when she reacted like this. Sometimes when it is dark I try to shrug off Payton's skittish episodes, but I keep thinking maybe there is "something/someone ou there". :-\

Overall don't you think that Brigetta's fears are improving? She enjoys other dogs, right? I am sure she is happy at home with you and Prudence. I am sorry she is haunted by things that are unknown or illogical to us. It seems you are giving her a great life.
    I am sure it can be frustrating.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

This is the story of my life right here. Apollo will get spooked and hill pull out of his collar and run off....always towards traffic. I had a heart attack almost weekly until I finally got him a martingale collar. Best choice I ever made. I'm sorry she got spooked I know the feeling when you see your dog running off, collarless, towards a car. Its enough to age someone twenty years.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by wiscpayton
    I am sorry Brigetta got so frightened. Maybe there was a different smell or sound that she detected that you didn't notice?? I am sure it is a little unnerving for you, too, when she reacted like this. Sometimes when it is dark I try to shrug off Payton's skittish episodes, but I keep thinking maybe there is "something/someone ou there". :-\

Overall don't you think that Brigetta's fears are improving? She enjoys other dogs, right? I am sure she is happy at home with you and Prudence. I am sorry she is haunted by things that are unknown or illogical to us. It seems you are giving her a great life.
    I am sure it can be frustrating.
    Thank you.
    I agree, I think she senses/smells things that I'm not aware of.
    Her fears have been improving. Next month it will be one year and she really has come a long way. She LOVES playing with other dogs. She's been playing in the kiddie pools at daycare and is very comfortable with the people there. She has gotten much better when people come over to my place. Once she feels comfortable with someone she is really sweet and playful. Going to the park is still a bit scary for her, but it's much better than it used to be. Strangers and new places are very scary for her. I think I get a little discouraged when I see her fears prevent her from doing the things I know she loves to do like being at the park, etc. She really is a sweet dog, I love her so much.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. I am sure you were so scared. I hope she is doing better today.

Sorry she was so scared I hope she's ok today. Mocha has little episodes where she freaks but not quite that bad. I would suggest getting a meratangle collar or something that she's less likley to slip out of. Mocha's bad about slipping out of her regular collar so I won't walk her with just it on.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

It's always scarey when they slip their collar..... you need a different type..... one that acts as a choker collar, so that if they try to back out, it will tighten..... it can't go over their head like an ordinary collar. We use these at our shelter so the dogs won't back out of them. We have a lot of dogs that are skiddish and they will stop and try to back up and right out of the collar.... that's why we use these.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025643&Ne=2

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Thanks guys. I'm definitely getting a martingale/non-slip collar. On walks I use the GL harness, but I was just putting a regular collar on her to take her out to the bathroom...not anymore though!

I'm glad she is safe. I'm sure she acted this way because there were strangers above her and she wasn't expecting that. If it happens again act as if she has nothing to fear because she doesn't.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast