Our First Ani-Meals on Wheels Delivery

Thread: Our First Ani-Meals on Wheels Delivery

DefaultOur First Ani-Meals on Wheels Delivery

Last Saturday was our first time to deliver pet food to a few elderly folks. The program here in Houston is just getting started so we only had four deliveries on our list.
    The staff were extremely organized. When we arrived they had all of the food for each different route on carts with a list of names we were to deliver to and the number and size of the dog(s) and Cat(s) in that house. Also included was a route map showing the location of each house and detailed driving instructions.

The first name on my list gave me a laugh. It read:

Mrs. Smith
    2234 Wayne St.

dog 1 Bear
    cat 5 cats

When I first glanced at the list I thought the lady had a bear and five cats then I realized they had included the name of the pet when known. When we got to that first house Bear, a Chihuahua met us at the door.

With each delivery we also handed out an information sheet about the pet food recall and assured each individual that all of the food had been screened and was safe. At least as far as the current recall goes.

It only took us about 1/2 hour to make the deliveries and we enjoyed chatting a bit with each person. I am sure our route will grow over time. All of the pets we saw seemed to be in good health but I doubt they receive little if any Vet care. I am thinking about asking the Interfaith Ministry staff to investigate that possibility.
    Here is the link to the site for Ani-Meals on Wheels:
    http://www.imgh.org/volunteer.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Our First Ani-Meals on Wheels Delivery

*Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

What a great thing for you to do. That's very impressive. I can't wait to hear how your route grows over time! How often will you make the rounds?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

OMG! I am SUCH a dork I thought this post was titled "ANTI-meals" on wheels. i was like...what??? ANTI-meals on wheels, how does that work? doh! :-[

Glad to hear all went well, wish I could get involved in that, sounds like fun. Does duke come with you during your run?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

that sounds like an awesome thing to do. I hope the animals are able to receive at least regular shots and spay/neuter as well.

How often will you make the rounds?
    Right now it's only the last Saturday in each month. The Interfaith Ministries operates the Meals ON Wheels daily with a professional staff and trucks. The two other programs are grocery delivery and Ani-Meals. These are delivered at the end of each month, as the staff explained, because that's when many of the elderly run out of what monthly income they may receive.
    Does duke come with you during your run?
    We were asked not to bring our own pets on deliveries because of possible conflicts with the resident pets becoming protective of their turf. I couldn't see torturing Duke anyway by making him ride in a car full of food. I would have had wet floor mats from all of the drool. ;D

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

How nice. I bet the old folks enjoyed the visit from you as well as the food delivery.

Nice idea. Brightened up their day and relieved their minds from worry, very nice...........