There are no pictures....

Thread: There are no pictures....

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultThere are no pictures....

Because Rookie wouldn't go into the pond. :

After last week's debut flying nun jump into the river, he barely will walk into the water. I hope he hasn't traumatized himself.

He shows great interest in what the older dogs are doing, he just won't go in. Of course I realize he's young, but it bums me out just a smidge...especially with Rider loving the water as much as he does.

OOOH LA.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: There are no pictures....

I didn't read about last week's daring stunt. But, I bet he will be back in the water in no time. Especially when he gets a little bigger, and he sees all the fun and enjoyment Rider gets out of swimming.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Samson is offline Senior Member

Poor chap has scared himself !

Guess you'll leave it to him to go in in his own time ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

this is a fear stage for puppies so I would take my time and he may come back around.
    Kim

Felix Guest

Just give it some time!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, maybe he did scare himself a little bit! Poor wittle Rookie!

Don't worry...no permanent harm done I'm sure

Hey, here's a sort of similar story about Simon:

Last fall we were taking agility. Simon loves it, and between our turns to do the obstacles, he would sometimes run up the A-frame, or go through a tunnel, over the dog walk, which I did not discourage because I figured hey, extra practice, glad he's enjoying himself, etc. The teacher kept commenting on how fearless he was, and I was glad to see he showed no shyness about trying new things.

Then one day we were standing around and I was not paying enough attention and before I knew it, he had darted up the teeter Of course it dropped right out from under him when he hit the other side too fast, and there he was, paddling in mid-air like Wile E. Coyote in the Roadrunner cartoons. :-[ He felll to the ground, and wasn't hurt, but then he developed a serious distrust of anything that looked like a teeter. :-\

When we ended classes last fall, he was still tucking his tail anytime I tried to get him to go on the teeter or dog walk. There are no classes in winter, so it was March before we went back. To my amazement, he seemed to have forgotten all about it! So, now I am very careful about the teeter when we are just standing around, and we are taking it very, very slow.

So, Rookie will forget I bet. Plus he has Rider to encourage him. I agree, when he sees how much fun Rider is having, he will eventually join right in!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

No worries...Darwin had NO interest in water until he was 6 or 7 months old. Rookie will come around

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy had to be coaxed into the water. You'd never know it now. As far as Buddy is concerned, going into the pool to chase the ball is no different that running across the lawn. Cute in July. Annoying in January, lol.

He'll be fine!

WigWag Guest

Dani I first brought Wigeon to the pond when she was about 10 weeks and continued to bring her about once a month that whole first summer and all she did was wade in 4" or so of water. :-\ She also wasn't that interested in retrieving at a young age. I was bummed out. Her mother is not much of a retriever or swimmer - it took her until she was about 2 years old to make the plunge and even then she won't go out too far. I was so hoping Wigeon would take after her dad who swam out so far at 9 weeks that we had to go rescue him! Anyway this "la la land" behavior continued until about 7 months of age. Suddenly a light bulb clicked on and she was a retrieving maniac! Since she was born in the spring I couldn't get her back to the pond until she was a year old. It took one trip and a bumper to get her to take a flying leap and never look back.

Give him some time.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Is there a place where YOU could go in and encourage him to join you?

That's how I got Peanut swimming, and Minpins are NOT swimmers!! ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!