Come, come,... yeh right. Nightmare story form Brandi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come, come,... yeh right. Nightmare story form Brandi

DefaultCome, come,... yeh right. Nightmare story form Brandi

I just got back from the local park area where I take Brandi for her runs. Well, for some reason, she would NOT respond to any of my commands. As a matter of fact, she gave me "I hear you, but I'm ignoring you" look when I called her.

Here's what happened.
    We were doing off-leash - come-command from about 30 feet. She came back 2 -3 times, then decided to run, and run, and run.....until she was about 500 FEET away from me! Dog whistle, come command, nothing. She stopped, looked at me, and kept going. Finally she sees an elderly couple walking in the park, she runs over to them, scared the crap out of them, and now she's in a hyper state, and takes off towards the kiddy playground, where a few toddlers were playing tag. Well, I guess you could figure what happened next...she's chasing hysterical little kids all around the playground. She going UP the slide, and trying to climb the ladder.
    Meanwhile, I can't run (shortness of breath, and seeing my cardiologist), so I'm walking as fast as I can without keeling over.

Needless to say, I was mortified, embarrased, and very angry. >

I hope this is something a good obedience class will correct. That was really bad.

Thanks God she didn't knock anybody over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Come, come,... yeh right. Nightmare story form Brandi

Well, my obedience class didn't solve any of these issues with Rowan. She is coming along pretty good on leash now that I have a prong.. but offleash... If I don't catch her before she hears or sees someone else... I'd have the same issue you just did....... :-\
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

That was my first experience with her. She's been pretty good with me up until today.

What scared me the most is that I couldn't chase her, and I felt helpless. I'm currently seeing my cardio for shortness of breath, and I was afraid to run.

After this incident, I'm committed to school with her. I never want to have a scene like that again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm hoping some of our experienced people jump in here and give recommendations.... :

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    I'm hoping some of our experienced people jump in here and give recommendations.... :
    Something like that could happen to anyone. But she fooled me because she's been so responsive to her come command. She would stop dead in her tracks if I called her name or blew her dog whistle. In this case, she chose to ignore me.
    Very unpredictable, and she shattered my trust in her. (even though it might not be a bad thing)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

My suggestion: If you are going to have her off-leash and practice recalls, it needs to be in a much less distracting environment than this Kids? Playground? Are you NUTS? Again, it's a case of moving too fast. She's not ready for that kind of temptation.

Hope things go well with your cardiologist.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

When I have Rowan off leash it is at 'quiet' times.. were we MIGHT run into another dog........ but I want to know I can trust her ALL THE time....

I know if there were a lot of people around... she would be doing exactly what Brandi did.

Merlot_1 Guest

My two babies have the same problem. If there is no one in sight, they will come imediately when called. If they spot another dog, or person, they won't come back to me until they check them out.

LKG

I agree with the "too much too fast" statement.

Something I do with Daisy whenever she is off leash is carry a ball with me. She is insane about a ball and will do absolutely anything if she knows I have one. I keep one in my pocket just in case I have to lure her back in with it. But this is a last resort for me and have been working on the consistent recall in distracting environments.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Good point LKG about always carrying backup.

I never, and I mean never-ever, leave the house for an off-leash excursion without a good supply of hot dogs and/or cheese whiz.

And Anthony, I have been taking the boys for off-leash excursions for two years. But they are both still technically puppies, and easily distracted.

The road to a 100% recall is slow and steady. You build a habit over time, by rewarding every time she comes with whatever it takes to convince her that coming to you is the most fantastic thing in the world. And making sure that she WILL come every time by not putting her in too tempting of a situation.

Oh, another observation: It sounds like you were chasing her. Never chase. If she is ignoring you/blowing you off, turn and run (or walk quickly) in the other direction. If you chase, it becomes a really fun game. You need to try this. I think you will be surprised at how well it works.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast