Portable water dishes

Thread: Portable water dishes

DefaultPortable water dishes

For all the people that take their dogs on long walks in the bush, trails etc. How do you bring along enough water for them? With 3 dogs, that's a fair bit of water. What do you carry it in? Do you get your dogs to carry it?
    Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Portable water dishes

I usually carry a water bottle with me, and they will drink the water when I "squirt" it. Make sense?

Have you thought about a doggie backpack? I would think that it wouldn't be too terribly hard to train them to wear one.

These can be found at REI, or just about any other retailer of dog/hiking products.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I bring a water bottle and a collapsable bowl that fits in a pack. The collapsable bowl is always stowed in the car when we travel as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I wear a Cabela's "Safari Vest" with many pockets. In one pocket is a collapsed "Hydro Bowl" and a water bottle. The bottle size we use depends on the season and heat - anywhere from a 8 fl. oz. to 16 fl. oz. (I prefer tall narrow ones and use Tropicana orange juice and GatorAde bottles with wider mouths than typical Coke bottles.)

The "Hydro Bowl" comes in 3 sizes; we use a "small" for just one Lab. I fill the bowl just before we reach the swamp and pond where Puff often drinks -- but doesn't if she's just slaked her thirst. What water she doesn't drink, I pour back into the bottle for use later in our walk.

"Hydro Bowls" are widely available from many places -- here's one source:

http://store.everestgear.com/eqk9300.html

We've unfolded and folded ours at least twice daily for almost 5 years. A year or so ago, the plastic covering developed cracks and leaked slightly. So I trimmed a one quart Zip-Lock freezer bag to fit as a liner and that's worked fine.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Here's picture of Sally drinking out of her portable water dish.

And here's a picture of Sally with her famous "Lab Drool" after drinking out of her portable water dish.

And here's Sally after drinking out of her portable water dish running off with it trying to get started a good game of "come and get it from me."

We use outward hound disposable bowls and 2 canvas portable bowls, also from OH.
    They both work great.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I'm with Susan. We have the outward hound portable dishes and love them If we're going on a long walk or we're out for the day I'll take a bookbag with the dishes and a few bottles of water for the girls.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake
    And here's Sally after drinking out of her portable water dish running off with it trying to get started a good game of "come and get it from me."

Tal grabs his portable water dish to play keep away BEFORE he has drank the water.. ???

So I got a couple of cheap plastic bowls I take when we go out for the day.