X-post: injured ACL

Thread: X-post: injured ACL

Porter's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultX-post: injured ACL

Just thought I would post this here too since it seems to get a lot more traffic:

My dog Porter started limping after fetching a while back and then started laying down during walks and his hind leg seemed very stiff. We took him to the vet about two weeks ago and after lots of x-rays they determined that he's injured one of the ligaments near his knee and it has unraveled some. Basically iy's his doggy ACL. The vet prescribed a few weeks of no activity, except going outside to potty, as well as Deramaxx to help with inflammation and see how he does.

Just called the vet today because he has one day's worth of meds left and they said that since he's not limping they will continue the Deramaxx and I can start taking him on very short walks and see how he does.

However, if he seems to start limping with minimal exercise and w/ the anti-inflammatory med they will need to consider surgery.

I'm just wondering if any one on here has had a dog go through this and has any advice at all. Also, if your dog was on Deramaxx, are they still on it, or was it only prescribed for a certain amount of time?

Any fun ideas of ways to keep Porter entertained? He is getting sick of hide the treat. I keep bringing home new toys every couple days, but he is just mopey and bored! He loves playing in the backyard during summer

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, many of us have been through this. It might take more than just 2 weeks to see improvement. You might not see improvement without surgery.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/darbydiary.html

Laura

Thanks for the link Looks like some great info! The vet told us upfront the surgery would be highly likely, but that it is usually very successful. Hopefully we won't have to take that route, but if that is what is best for Porter we will certainly be doing it. It's so sad to see him laying around all day when I know he wants to be chasing his ball and swimming!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Yep, several of us most recently too!!! And Kelli w/Koda, TWICE!

I'm finding the hardest part with Simba (post op 3 wks today) is not letting her run with the other dogs and play and what not yet. She DID NOT like her crate after surgery and only spent about 1.5 days in there. Mom just couldn't take the commotion she was making.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, repair of the ACL is the most frequent canine ortho surgery there is. So you are not alone. I've been through it as well. Good results after surgery... no, not good, really excellent results. Don't fret too much, it's very fixable.

Ninemiler is offline Member

Been there, done that. Years ago we had ACL surgery for one of our labs (Krueger - RIP), who injured her knee while we were backpacking with her. It never totally healed, and any good physical exercise would put her into a limp. Had the surgery when she was about 5 yrs old, and that knee healed well and served her beautifully until we lost her at age 13. We were very serious about her recovery and keeping her rambunctious self subdued/leashed per our vet's directions. That surgery was before they offered pain meds...and I kick myself now for not insisting on meds for her since she was very uncomfortalbe for several days following the procedure. I'm sure the operation is much improved now. Best wishes for Porter!

Thank you for all of the responses. It is nice to know that this is such a common surgery for dogs. My vet told me that they actually have much more success with this surgery in canines than in humans, so that is encouraging. I will keep you updated on things. Porter goes back to get his leg checked in a month and will still be on complete restriction and taking the anti-inflammatory until then. At that point I think the vet will decide whether or not it is time for surgery.