Why couldn't she just kill the thing herself?

Thread: Why couldn't she just kill the thing herself?

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy couldn't she just kill the thing herself?

This morning after breakfast, Bella went out into the back yard and apparently caught a rat. I didn't see her do it, but when I looked out the window, she was standing over the body of a rodent of some sort. I couldn't tell if it was a rat or a small squirrel until I went out there for a closer look, but fortunately it was a rat (not that this is a good thing, but it's better than her catching a baby squirrel). Upon somewhat closer examination I determined that it was a not-quite-dead rat!

Maybe men are supposed to be able to handle stuff like this, but I'm decidedly squeamish about such things. However, I succeeded in fulfilling my spousal duty of slaying monsters and dealing with particularly unpleasant things. (I will spare you the details.)

Bella

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Sorry you had to do that. Yuk. I had to do the same chore the other day when my cat Ivan so kindly brought the dogs a little chippy that was not quite dead and layed it at their feet. Thanks Ivan, just what I needed. I had to get it off of them so one of them wouldn't eat it and hurk it up later in the house. Yuk again.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

RATS are nasty!!! Sadie picked one up and then let it go and then again and it finally ran out in the field.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Be glad she didn't kill it. It has been my experience (limited) that labs have prey instinct like other dogs, but they have a "soft" bite and don't kill by biting. To make matters worse, they don't have the instinct to "shake" their catch which often gets them a bite in the nose by a rodent like a squirrel or rat. Mine go crazy after squirrels or chipmonks, but I wish they wouldn't because I'm afraid they will get bitten.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Barney found a dead one in our back yard. At first I thought it was a rock and he dropped it on command. I got the pooper scooper and put the dead rodent in the trash.

Ceridwen is offline Member

My pup found and was playing with a gopher. The teeth on those things scare me so I confiscated said play toy and made my dad take care of it. (We contemplated throwing it into the neighbors yard because I get squeamish about taking care of things like that - and since we moved around the corner from my parents that was the easiest method)

Congrats on mustering up the courage to take care of it - I know I couldn't!!