Need the board's opinion (NLR) - updated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Need the board's opinion (NLR) - updated

  1. #1
    Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,682

    DefaultNeed the board's opinion (NLR) - updated

    Here's the latest update. We're at the wait and see stage...
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,44592.0.html

    Update: I called the newest vet hospital in town. I haven't used their services because they aren't that close to my house and they've only been open for about 2 years, but they *are*affiliated with the UC Davis Veterinary School, so I felt more comfortable dealing with them. It was pretty cool - they do a phone consultation with the vet before you bring them in, and they thought that since she ate a bit, was wagging her tail, and not vocalizing any pain, that she could wait to see our own vet tomorrow. They said that I could bring her in if it seemed like she was in a lot of pain, but that I could continue with the aspirin at home. So I guess that we will take it hour by hour. At least they weren't like the other place - "Bring her right in! We'll do x-rays and blood work!" Everytime that I have used them I felt that they overtreated my dogs. And of course, there's the time that I had to take Carly in after she was hit and killed by a car. The vet tech came out to the waiting room and asked me if I was "the lady with the dead dog". > > > That still makes me so angry to think about. (Hence my reluctance to take anyone there, even in an emergency!)

    Thanks again, everyone, for your concern.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Mia (my mutt) refuses to put any weight on her left leg as of about 11:00 last night.

    She went for a short run with my daughter in the morning, spent a good part of the afternoon in her crate because we were gone, was let out for dinner by the sitter (but I have no idea if she ran around much - you never know with her), then she was crated until we got home at about 9:00. I let her out of the crate - she was fine. I went out to potty them - she was fine. Came upstairs to catch up on email - she was fine. Got into bed and she started hopping around like old peg leg.

    So here's my question - emergency vet tomorrow or wait for my beloved vet on Monday? She doesn't seem to be in pain, although I gave her some aspirin anyway. I don't really trust the emergency vet - but only because I don't really know them. I just assume that they would try to take advantage of the situation. I'd prefer to wait until Monday, but I feel guilty making her wait if she's in pain. Of course, I'm assuming the worst - ACL tear - so is there anything that they could do for her anyway?

    What would you do?

    Edited to add her age (thanks Dawn!) and suspected "breed". She's about 7 or 8 years old. It's our best guess as she was abandoned and we adopted her through rescue. She appears to be some type of a sheltie/cattle dog mix.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4yelloweyedogs's Avatar
    4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northeast Tennessee
    Posts
    4,419

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    If it were me, and she showed no pain, I would wait till Monday morning.

    Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.


    http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,115

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    How old is she? If she's a young pup, I would say maybe
    growing pains can't think of what they call it I haven't had
    my morning coffee yet. If not then I'm not sure, rest her
    as much as possible and see how she is. Emergency vets are
    usually super expensive so I would rest and call vet Monday
    morning unless of course it gets super worse.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Trickster's Avatar
    Trickster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,913

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    If it was serious wouldn't she be showing signs before 11:00pm? I don't know. Maybe she tore a muscle. I think if she is in pain and still limping in such an obvious way today (Sunday) I would take her to the emergency vets. Otherwise, if the limp is sporadic and she appears to be feeling ok, I'd wait until Monday.

  7. #5
    Anne's Avatar
    Anne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    5,336

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    Poor Mia! How is she doing today?


    Murphy, Riley, and Piper

  8. #6
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wellington New Zealand
    Posts
    9,926

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    I know you would take her if she was in pain other wise I would wait until Monday.
    Hope is it just a sprain and nothing serious.


    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

  9. #7
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    No advice beyond what has been offered, just wanted to say I hope the Mia Pet is feeling better today


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  10. #8
    Paddysmom's Avatar
    Paddysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    28,830

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    News this morning?

    Seamus and Flynn

  11. #9
    Paola's Avatar
    Paola is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    271

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    Keep her restricted and wait for your vet. As long as you don't let her do crazy stuff, no harm will be done. She might just have tweaked something.

  12. #10
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    DefaultRe: Need the board's opinion (NLR)

    How is Mia doing this morning?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25