I thought labs were active
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought labs were active

DefaultI thought labs were active

My 6 month old puppy is very mellow. I took him to the park with another yellow lab to play fetch and play.
    The yellow lab, ronin was running, playing, basically very hyper. While my dog rocco just sat there. (he played for about 5 mins and then needed to rest) I try to get him to run on our walks but he looks at me and just sits down.

I thought labs were suppose to be very active. I'm not complaining because he is an awsome dog and wouldnt trade for the world, but are labs mellow dogs at 6 months.
    Rocco is 6 months, 70lbs and Ronin is 8 months 80lbs. I was thinking its because he weights so much. He isnt fat though, he is just stocky. His chest is about 29"-30" easy and has a stocky build. He also has a ton of extra skin to still grow into. I can pull his skin about 1 1/2 inches from his body without him even noticing.

here is a pic from above.

your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: I thought labs were active

They are just like humans! ;D

Not evrybody is a marathon runner

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Has he always been like that? very mellow, not interested in running, etc.? if so, it might just be his personality. Some Labs are really laid back while others are total lunatics. Generally Labs are considered to be an active breed but there are plenty of exceptions.

If you are worried you might want to get his hips and elbows checked by the vet incase anything physical is bothering him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have a lazy girl in fact we call her Lazy Lizzie she likes to play for a little while but what she really prefers to do is to have a good nap...

Another mellow lab here! Gracie is just a very laid back, easy going girl. She loves to retreive and swim, but she will quit when she has had enough...our other labs would run til they dropped! I agree with Trickster, next time she is at the vet, have him check her elbows and hips and explain your concern. As long as nothing is wrong with his joints...count your blessings! If it is something you are interested in, he might be a good candidate to become a therapy dog! A mellow personality is a big plus when doing therapy work!

Here is a pic of Gracie just going with the flow:

Boys wanted toplay chess, Grace didn't want to move off the bed....they played about 30 minutes like that!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Yet another mellow lab owner. Rocky is among the laziest labs ever. But I still keep him fairly active.

As the others have mentioned - if he has always been like that it's just his nature. But if this is new behavior it could be a sign of a health problem.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lablimo is offline Senior Member

I have a mellow one, too! In fact, a few years ago I had Haylee's thyroid checked because I was convinced she was just not active enough!! Everything was fine. She goes for an hour+ walk each morning and then has playtime in the park with her doggie friends in the evening -- she also swims, but she stops when she has had enough. She enjoyes just sitting around with the two lazy felines!!

Peanut is also very mellow. The only time she gets hyper is when she's retrieving. But if no one wants to throw the ball she just wants to cuddle.

I have a mellow here too. I think just about every picture
    we have of Bella she is laying down. Infact she's on the
    couch right now trying to catch a zzzzz. :
    We have to keep her busy in the summer to help keep her
    weight down.

Merlot_1 Guest

Zoey is very mellow also, sleeps when ever she can, about 20 hours a day. Merlot, on the other hand. only will sleep about 5 hours and trys to get in trouble the other 19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast