Do you let your dog have full run of the yard when your not home?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you let your dog have full run of the yard when your not home?

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

DefaultDo you let your dog have full run of the yard when your not home?

If so at what age did you let them? Murphy is almost 7 months, but I still have my doubts about it but a few people told me that I should let him be in the yard. One is my neighbor, who has owned dogs all her life, but is not like me. She is the tye of person that makes the high pitch voice and make the dog like 10 times more excited. Thinks its cute when a dog jumps on her and licks her face. I know murphy will get into things if I am gone at work all day, he does when I let him out alone for 5-10 minutes. I figure crating him would be best, because that way he is out with supervision, and someone to tell him what is good and bad. IE chewing the the outside chair cushons, digging, the cover on the bbq, and many other things, not to mention the fence on one side of the yard is barely holding together, so if he gets bored and might find out it comes apart easy (Hey we told the neighbors to let us know when they want to build a new one, but since they just bought that house, and had it rebuilt, they dont have any money pay for half).

So, your thoughts? I know I will have to build him a doghouse, but thats no big deal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you let your dog have full run of the yard when your not home?

For me Kassa did at about 18 months and then for short times. I could leave her inside while I quickly went to the shop. Usually though she was in her kennel and run.

Ernie. Never ever.. absolutely never and I doubt if he ever will. Even when I am home he often needs crating.
    I like to know they are safe so never leave them unsupervised.

I think you have answered your question.
    You know Murphy will get into things if you are gone.
    You do what you feel is best. You will know when he is responsible.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would not recommend leaving a dog alone in the backyard for long periods unattended. Way too risky. As you say, he could get into trouble and dog-knapping is a BIG growing crime. Sadly, Labradors are a popular target for dog thieves.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Never.

Laura

Wouldn't do it, would be worried sick something might happen.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I don't and never will, because unless I'm out there with Corby & Miranda, they just whine at the back door, which then escalates to sharp barks (Mom! Where are you!!) We have a fenced & private yard, so I'm not worried about dog-nappers, I just can't leave them out because they'd bark & that would not be appropriate in a residential area.

I used to leave my golden, April, and my spaniel, Miranda outside at our rural home when I'd go shopping or whatever (not winter). They had 1/2 acre of Invisible Fencing to play in, and both were used to being outside during the day without me ... they'd just lay on the deck & snooze. We had neighbours whose dogs were tied outside, or loose, and the hamlet we lived in was rural enough that the occasional barking dog was expected.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

never.

never. here, labs (and other dogs) are stolen for medical research all the time- even if the owner is inside for 30 minutes.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Never.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I don't have a fenced yard but if I did and hopefully one day I will, I will never leave Tal, or any other dog I might have, out by himself without supervision. With him, I am much more concerned about someone stealing him than anything else.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast