Wild treat taking- help ! Thanks to all !!

Thread: Wild treat taking- help ! Thanks to all !!

DefaultWild treat taking- help ! Thanks to all !!

Nearly every time, I give a treat for something good that Doolie has done, he practically takes my fingers off .
    Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can teach him how to take it easy , when taking a treat?
    I'm only giving him some of his kibble, not steak or anything really terrific. He is getting almost 2 cups a day of food (Canidae), and is worm free - according to the vet.
    All suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Thanks to everyone that responded, I'll let you know how I make out.!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Wild treat taking- help !

Teach him "gentle!" or "take it nice!".

Hold the treat out to him. If he takes it nicely, give it to him and praise praise praise! If he takes it with you feeling teeth, palm the treat. He only gets the treat if he takes it nicely. Don't worry, he'll learn quickly!!

Good luck!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Yah I read somewhere that one thing that helps is to have the treat in your fist, hold it out to him saying "gentle" (or something along those lines) and wait until he is less excited to give it to him. It teaches him that he won't get it unless he takes it calmly.

I've never actually tried that in practice though, so don't quote me on it! ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

let me know what works!

Rocky is the same way. IF we are calm and i'm giving kibble hes' fine. But to give a treat (special one) during any training, during flyball or by strangers he's all teeth. I am trying the treating where he only gets it if he's gentle (as mentionned above).

My hands are all chewed up by the end of flyball though. I can't not treat him because the goal is to treat for having done the particular trick right (go to box, do the turn, bring teh ball back). So I can't be working on "gentle" at hte same time!!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We had this problem with Larry big-time. We finally managed to get him to understand "easy" by bopping him in the nose if he lunged for our hands. It wasn't a mean box on the nose, it was just a "hello, my hand is here" bump. It only took a few times and now he has a beautiful "easy".

kaytris is offline Senior Member

In addition, wearing a metal splint on your finger might act as a gentle reminder to take it easy...

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I've always taught my dogs "gentle" using cheese, cause it's a tasty treat, and you can "squish" it out as needed. I cut finger length and width pieces, have them sit, and say "gentle, gentle", only offering a small bit of the cheese from my finger tips. (this is hard for me to describe, but try holding the cheese piece similar to how you would a pencil, only guard the cheese more with your fingers - you can control how much cheese is showing, and safe guard the rest of it with your fingers/palm/hand)

I find soft things are good to teach this with, as instead of "snapping" for the treat, they are forced to nibble very gently at the piece being offered. If you dog is not taking it gently, use a good hard NO, or an ACH! or whatever you wish, and keep repeating "gentle, gentle". They catch on very quick. Then, just do this with every treat you give, no exceptions until they've learned "gentle".

Hope that helps.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

patm is offline Senior Member

Whatever you do - don't toss treats to them - that tends to make them grabby (if they have that tendency). Also, make sure that you aren't quickly giving the treat and then jerking your hand back so as to not get nipped. That makes them grab quicker too. Skippy can tend to get a little "grabby" , and when he does, I just hang on to the treat and practically put my hand in his mouth and say "gentle". He won't grab at his treat if he knows my hand is in his mouth.