Animal Testing

Thread: Animal Testing

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnimal Testing

I know a variety of animals are used in animal testing. Unfoutunately my buddies (ferrets) are often used because they have an immune system similar to humans. Now here's the thing. What do you guys think? I am not really thrilled about animal testing, but I kinda feel like CRUELTY FREE animal testing for non superficial things (such as cosmetics) IS important. It makes me sad to know that some animals are born simply to be 'test animals' but what if we didn't have these animals? Alot of knowledge about animal diseases and human/animal medicine has come from animal testing. Cures for horrible human and animal diseases would not be found if there was no way to test these cures. I dunno it seems like a really sucky situation, if we don't test for medicines and other things on animals, how will we know if they work or not? Won't lots of animals die if we aren't able to find treatment for common animal diseases? But at the same time, testing on animals for medical reasons (not cosmetics) seems extremely unfair to the animals, especially because alot of animal testing places endanger the lives of their animals. I dunno I'm kinda torn. What do YOU think?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Animal Testing

While I'm not thrilled with it, I do think it has its place. I do not believe that it should be done for non-essential things though. Most of our surgeries and drugs were first tested on animals and we wouldn't have that if we banned animal testing.

I will say I am TOTALLY AGAINST selling animals from shelters to laboratories though. I guess to me its different if they breed their own specimen rather than use someone's pet.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby

I will say I am TOTALLY AGAINST selling animals from shelters to laboratories though. I guess to me its different if they breed their own specimen rather than use someone's pet.
    I agree. Shelter animals have already lost their home, they don't need to be put through animal testing on top of that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i'll bite (mainly because i'm tired of studying).

my mom has a incurable, barely manageable neurological disease. i'm tired of it as a caregiver and as a daughter. she's tired of it as a patient.

i look it as a necessary evil. if some sacrifices were to be made that were going to help my mom or others like my mom, that's fine with me. (however, if i were to look at it as someone experimenting on gabby, for example, it makes me ill).

however, i only can justify it for human medical advancements. i cannot justify it for cosmetics, shampoos, etc.

by the way, missouri is the leading state in sales of animals to testing labs. don't ever, ever leave apollo out in a yard here. dogs get stolen all the time out of backyards in saint louis and sold to labratories.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom

by the way, missouri is the leading state in sales of animals to testing labs. don't ever, ever leave apollo out in a yard here. dogs get stolen all the time out of backyards in saint louis and sold to labratories.
    Holy shit!

labby is offline Senior Member

This goes for all states/places. Labs are stolen more often than any other breed because the thieves know how to lure them (with food). I warn my puppy people of this all the time. NEVER leave them in a car or yard without supervision. One of my PP's didn't believe me, I guess and called me in tears because their pup was stolen out of their car while they were in the pharmacy. They swore they were only gone 2 minutes. The thieves broke out a window and snatched the puppy never to be seen again.

If they aren't stolen for selling to laboratories, then they are stolen for hunters and usually shot out in the field when they're done with them. Evidence you know.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopuppy

Holy shit!
    yeah, gab's breeder gave me an article from the post-dispatch regarding the numbers- i'll try and find it. it's never a good idea (like labby said) - but missouri is really terrible.

I'm pretty much on the same side as everyone else that has responded. If it weren't for medical animal testing, we wouldn't have some of the medicines and etc. that we have today. I guarantee you I prefer animal company to humans most of the time, but I just can't see experiments done on human babies as opposed to rats, monkeys, and the like.

Now about cosmetic animal testing...I'd jump on PETA's bandwagon for that. I think it's ridiculous and unnecessary. I'd volunteer myself to help save an animal in that spot.

And I want to thank the person who mentioned the St. Louis problem and animal testing. I live on a corner in St. Peters and have always felt like someone was going to run up and snatch poor, trusting Toby. Maybe it's a good thing my other dog looks like a pit bull... people are often cautious about approaching the yard with sweet Rocky out there.