At my wits end - what's going on with her????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At my wits end - what's going on with her????

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt my wits end - what's going on with her????

I have posted recently about Emilu starting to get into more things around the house. At first it was just a little "cute" (they have to be cute or we'd have to kill them!), but recently has turned more "dangerous". I have always kept the "dog things" in a large basket in the backhall bathroom on a lower shelf. THEY HAVE NEVER, EVER TOUCHED THIS STUFF!!!. It contains they're meds and stuff, and I know it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do , but THEY NEVER, EVER TOUCHED IT OR SHOWED ANY INTEREST IN IT!!! Yesterday morning I found one of the med bottles (with one Rimadyl in it) on the livingroom floor. I put it back. Today, we found 3 bottles in the diningroom. I recently put all the stuff in a different basket, and I guess that perked her interest. She has been doing this stuff in the 15 minutes or so after I leave for work in the morning and before SU comes out into the kitchen. So tonight we were going to be gone for just alittle while, and I had to put her in her kennel instead of leaving her in the house. I hate putting her crate back in the diningroom - maybe I'll get one of those wicker looking ones. What gives with her? It seems the more I work with her with obedience training and showing, the worse she gets, and the more attention she wants. AAARRRRGHHHHHHH!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At my wits end - what's going on with her????

"because she can"

Just kennel or confine her when you can't supervise, and she'll likely out grow this eventually.

How frustrating...makes ya wonder why she's doing it.

Hey, maybe back off the obedience training, and she'll quit! (just jokin'!) ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. I can sympathise with you it is frustrating. I don't have any answers.
    I wish I did and could use them on Ernie.
    It is like have a 2 year old in the house. All meds, and other poisons are in tip cupboards locked. He opens pantrys and other cupboards.

I agree crates are so big and I hate it. I can't leave Erns alone for 2 mins so the crate is a necessary evil.
    No matter how much excersise I give Ernie or training it doesn't slow him down.

Hopefully she will stop soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain...Zoey is back in the crate while we are gone too. She is having a spell of evil deeds.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I also treat my dogs as if we have toddlers in the house. Any medications are put up where they can't reach them. Anything I don't want destroyed is put up. Ruger is five years old and he is an avid counter surfer. Magnum is six years old and she still occassionally takes a shoe or something and chews it up into little pieces. And... Remington is learning from them

I don't know why your girl is doing it now, but just be safe and keep things put out of her reach, or crate her when you are not there.

patm is offline Senior Member

For those of you who aren't familiar with Emilu, I forgot to mention that she is 4 years old and has been very "house-proof" for a good 2 years. What's next with her- counter-surfing? >

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Zoey also house proof never food proof. As long as I did not leave food out she was fine. Now its all is fair in love and war, and workout pants. (refer to my I'm trying to love Zoey thread)

Yeah mine are 4 years old too and we can't trust them out anymore
    when we're not home. Lilo reverted to peeing and pooping in the house
    and Bella destoryes things so they no longer have free roam. They
    were out for several years prior. I don't know what happened either.
    But it will be a long time before they get free roam again. 8)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh no!

Well first of all, lock that stuff up. I cleaned out a bathroom cabinet and have all their stuff inside in baskets. Hoping they will never learn to open cabinet doors.

Secondly, we've been having a similar problem with Simon. So far, it seems to be just paper that interests him. You remember about a week or so ago I topped a newspaper with a metal bucket? He drug the paper off the counter and the bucket with it, and it seemed to have cured him permanently. He hasn't gone near anything on the counter since. (We left the bucket up there to act as a sentinel )

So...it worked until tonight. >

I left work to go to my Mom's house for dinner with some visiting family. Kevin met me at her house with Angus a bit later, after he'd fed and walked them, so I could take Angus to Rally practice. Then Kevin stayed at Mom's to visit with the family.

This left Simon at home. :-[ I always feel terrible when I have to leave one or the other behind. So I rushed home after 30 minutes of practice (30 good minutes...we were really done anyway) and came home to spend time with Simon. And what did I see when I walked in the door? Paper...everywhere. Oh. My. Gosh. He got a hardcover book and ripped it to shreds.

The newspaper bait and bucket were still in tact. : It apparently dawned on him that as long as whatever it was wasn't under a bucket, he would be golden. :-\

I told Kevin, the only solution for this is perfectly clean counters, 100% of the time. :-\

Anyway, I told this story because, like Emilu, Simon seems to want more, the more he gets. He has gotten worse about this in the past few months. I know we shouldn't anthromorphize (sp?), but I can't help but think...is it jealousy? Did he see Angus getting to go out and think, screw this, I'm tearing up a book?

???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast