Asking here about amounts of food..

Thread: Asking here about amounts of food..

DefaultAsking here about amounts of food..

Ok..since I know I've been overfeeding Dakota..only for the last week or two..what should the amounts be..he is almost 5 months..or 21 weeks yesterday. He weighs roughly 44lbs or so..and he's on Innova LB puppy food.
    I WAS feeding him about 1 and 3/4 cups of food twice a day. Now I'm back to a little over 1 cup twice a day. Is that enough? He gets training treats, small pieces of biscuits when he does "good".
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Asking here about amounts of food..

Aidan gets about 2 3/4 cup a day, plus training treats. Once a week salmon.

How does he look? and what does the vet say? What your'e describing sounds about right...can you see a definite waist on him when you look down over him?

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I feed Tal the same ration I have been feeding him for some time...3 cups a day divided into 4 servings. He gets lots of exercise and is by no means a couch potato. I keep close watch and he has a definite waist when viewed from above and I can feel, but not see, his ribs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok..ummmmm..when the temps started going into the low 80's here..Dakota slowed down..didn't want to do much retrieving and running. I think this is why he started looking a bit porky. The trainer noticed when he was lying down he had sort of a full belly. He did seem to have one even standing up. I think it was a combo of not running and playing for a few days..and also me increasing his food..ever the trying to be a good mom syndrome. He's back to 1 1/2 cups 2x's a day now. I think he looks a little leaner already. He wasn't fat..just had more of a fullness around his midsection. We also take him out late in the afternoon..when it starts to cool off..and we sort of jog from one end of our yard to the other..and he follows us.
    Thanks to all who answered..once upon a time..I was told by my vet, you feed 1/2oz. per pound of weight. So..I guess that is where I should be..more or less.
    Thanks again...Jackie