Dog unlocking crate doors

Thread: Dog unlocking crate doors

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog unlocking crate doors

So Maggie has mastered the locks on her crate. She was caught today while I was working running down the stairs and then when I saw her she took off upstairs and was trying to open Finn's cage. Now as cute as this is, Maggie has not earned the right to be out of her room when she can't be watched at all times. What can I use on the crate to lock her in that she can't figure out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog unlocking crate doors

hmmm...you could bungee cord the locks shut. What about that?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Dryf learned long ago how to open his crate door (I assume he does so with his nose).

We now ALWAYS use a little hook (like the end of the leash) that clips around both the cage frame and the little lever (it's hard to explain). The hook is just like one at the end of leash - you can get them very cheap at any hardware store in any size.

Alternatively we use a strong tie wrap to twist around the lever and the cage so he can't lift it. Basicly anything that ties the lever to the cage so it CANNOT be raised until you remove it works.

Assuming you have a metal crate!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Dryf learned long ago how to open his crate door (I assume he does so with his nose).

We now ALWAYS use a little hook (like the end of the leash) that clips around both the cage frame and the little lever (it's hard to explain). The hook is just like one at the end of leash - you can get them very cheap at any hardware store in any size.

Alternatively we use a strong tie wrap to twist around the lever and the cage so he can't lift it. Basicly anything that ties the lever to the cage so it CANNOT be raised until you remove it works.

Assuming you have a metal crate!

We do have a metal crate and we happen to be going to the hardware store tonight so I will look for the hooks. Thanks!

lol..smart little lady you got there

c17wife is offline Senior Member

Buddy is in a metal crate and figured out how to get out. He did it the hard way though. He rammed his head into the front of it repeatedly until it literaly fell apart. : (The door never opened mind you the front of the crate ended up on the floor.) So we got some of those industrial sized zip ties and strapped it together with those. Hasn't got out since!

What about the binner clips a lot of people use on their key chains?

Quick and easy to open something like this
    http://www.earthtrail.com.au/carabinneracc.html