cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but good
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but good

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultcops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but good

Never a dull moment here. I got back from the park with Sally about 1:00. Shortly afterwards, she went to the door and had to go out. I put her leash on her and opened the front door to take her out in the front yard where here favorite pooping spot is up under the trees. Everything is fine.

But when I open the door....what do I see sitting on our front walk????? A big ole racoon!!!!!! Just sitting there in broad daylight! Of course Sally sees it and takes off (good thing she was on a leash). Fur on her back up barking like crazy. Well, that racoon doesn't even run from Sally. He just turns and slowly ambles off on the side yard area where there are a ton of leaves and an old small wood pile. He climbs up on the first log of the wood pile beside a tree and just sits there.

Thinking it would really be cool to let Sally chase it off, I take her over there (or let her pull me over there) barking like crazy. About then, my husband comes flying out of the door hollering to get Sally back in here....that the racoon could very well be rabid. I didn't even think of that!!!

So back in the house we go. According to my husband, one blatant sign of a rabid animal is totally uncharacteristic behavior....and a racoon out on your front walk in broad daylight, especially one who doesn't run from a barking dog!

So I call animal control. To make a long story a little shorter, they dispatched a sheriff's deputy. He came out and the racoon was still in that same place. No matter how close we got, he just sat there. And there was something yucky looking coming out of his nose.

Anyway, the deputy shot him....took 5 shots to kill him!! I stayed out there with him while he shot the racoon. After the first shot, the racoon ran...very slowly...down to these rock-like steps leading around to our back yard. The deputy finished him off on those steps.

He picked up the dead body, put it in a trash bag and the road department is coming to pick it up now. But now I've got to go out there and clean up that blood!! :-\ YUCK!!

But back to Sally.....when we took her back out there to do her business, she went absolutely CRAZY over the smells over on that side of the yard. A true hunting dog!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but good

Oh wow I'm glad your hub came out... that was rabid for sure and Im so glad no one got bit or scratched :-\
    Wow...BIG excitement! Plus those things are nasty!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but good

Wow, so glad it was taken care of and Sally didn't get too close. Raccoons can do some real damage to dogs. That was very uncharacteristic of a 'coon, though, not to run from a dog and human. Will they test it for rabies and let you know the results?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scary for sure I'm glad your husband thought about it and they took care of it. Never mess with a coon or possom they can do some real damage.

DefaultRe: cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Wow, so glad it was taken care of and Sally didn't get too close. Raccoons can do some real damage to dogs. That was very uncharacteristic of a 'coon, though, not to run from a dog and human. Will they test it for rabies and let you know the results?
    I thought they would test it...so did the deputy. But animal control said that they only test them if there's been a reporting of one biting a person or animal. So no testing....the road crew came by, got it, and it's gone now!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake

Thinking it would really be cool to let Sally chase it off, I take her over there (or let her pull me over there) barking like crazy. About then, my husband comes flying out of the door hollering to get Sally back in here....that the racoon could very well be rabid. I didn't even think of that!!!
    Pretty fun packed morning, I'd say. Just a quick word of advice - don't let your dog go after a raccoon if you can help it, rabid or not. They can be very nasty, vicious creatures, and you could wind up with a dog full of stitches or worse. (I know what you mean though, I like to let the girls chase the neighbours cats out of our front gardens, and any and all squirrels or cats in our backyard!!)
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Yes, stay away from raccoons. My Aunt's 17 year old cat liked to lay out on their screened in porch. A raccoon came right through the screen door on the porch and carried the cat away with my Aunt chasing after it. They never did find the cat.

Funny story: Last week my son said they were in bed and heard this noise outside their 2nd story window. DIL pulled back the drapes and screamed. There was a huge raccoon hanging onto the window screen. Here she was climbing up to the attic eve vent. They had been hearing noises up in the attic for a few days. Game commissioner said she has babies up in the attic and will remove them in about 4 weeks. There is no opening in the house to the attic and eve vent is too small for a person to get through. This is a rental and the owners don't seem to care. I can't imagine what it will smell like in a few more weeks. Sorry to get off track.

Brookville, Pa.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cops, guns, sally....lots of excitement around here today!!!!!!! Long, but

Quote Originally Posted by Linda1
    Yes, stay away from raccoons. My Aunt's 17 year old cat liked to lay out on their screened in porch. A raccoon came right through the screen door on the porch and carried the cat away with my Aunt chasing after it. They never did find the cat.
    I always thought that raccoons looked quite cute,in pictures I've seen of them, but after hearing about them carrying rabies and killing cats I think I will have to have a change of mind

Won't someone please feed me!

wow the cop shot at it ahahaha thats weird i never would have thought that they would actally shoot it. good thing deputy sally was on the scene olice:

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]@@
    wow the cop shot at it ahahaha thats weird i never would have thought that they would actally shoot it. good thing deputy sally was on the scene olice:
    Well, that's why animal control had the deputy dispatched....animal control told him to shoot it. He even called animal control one last time just before he fired to make sure he was supposed to shoot it. It really was very exciting! ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast