Thread: Balance #32 (1 pic)

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Balance #32 (1 pic)

What a cutie ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How did you go about teaching her that? I'm wondering what command keeps her still. We need to learn a new trick for part of our class activities.

Very clever girl Zoe!

Bravo Zoey!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill

How did you go about teaching her that? I'm wondering what command keeps her still. We need to learn a new trick for part of our class activities.

Very clever girl Zoe!
    First off, I find that Zoe responds well when she's tired. Either in the middle of the day or after exercise. This is when I try to train to do "fancy-dancy" tricks.

Anyways, Zoe is known to balance anything on the top of her head. She can balance something small like my ring, to anything large, like a basketball! Command was "balance" If the held in on her head for even a second w/o moving...she received a treat.

We progressed to her nose. Not a simple task, as it's right in front of her where she can see it. Non-treat items are very simple for her since they're non-edibles. She can balance until I take the object off her nose.

Edibles are a totally different task. I started w/her nylabone. "Balance" "off"
    Took the nylabone off her nose, and treated her w/a kibble.

When I started w/treats, she wanted to flip them immediately. I let her.. I just wanted her to be comfortable w/an edible on her nose. Slowly, I made her wait longer by putting my palms about an inch or so on each side of her face so that she would focus on me, and not the treat. "off" is her command.

"take it" is when she can flip and take. : )

There's someone else here who has her sig pic w/her black lab balancing and taking it. : ) Way cool trick. Perhaps she has a different method? If so, please hijack this thread and let us know!

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Wow!! Way to go, Zoe!! ;D

Henery has still yet to master the balancing-on-nose trick. If I try to put a treat there, he keeps moving his head up, as if to say, "Hey Mom!! My mouth is down here!!" LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12