Need some help please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help please

DefaultNeed some help please

I posted this before but it happened again this morning. My boy Sammie likes to eat stones. This morning I woke up to him throwing up again and hearing the ping on the ceramic tile floor. I started all three of my dogs on Missing Link the other day so maybe he'll get something he is missing. I know it's dangerous what he does and it scares me to death. He is free in the yard with Electric fence collar . I hate to thin k I am going to have to limit him or always stand and watch what he does. Was just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need some help please

Where is he getting the stones from? is removing them not an option?

Unfortunately it is not an option. We have so much clay here and rocks that it would be impossible. Wish I could.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Perhaps build him a fully stone patio stoned enclosure?? Or else you might just have to watch him,or make a valiant effort to remove as many surface stones as possible. I know what you mean though, we have clay base too - if I am making a new garden or something, it's really bad for stones everywhere, but really, if you have grass he shouldn't be able to find much.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

bibber is offline Senior Member

We have the same problem with Sam. He's had three surgeries for intestinal obstruction. Sam and Bodie used to stay in the yard while we were at work, but now they both stay in 24/7. We do let Sam out for short times kind of unsupervised (like if we're in the kitchen or family room and can see him out the window), because he only seems to eat rocks if he's left out for a very long time and gets bored.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Uh oh Sue, not again! :-\ Thank goodness Sammie's brother didn't pick up his bad habits. 8)

I started all three of my dogs on Missing Link the other day so maybe he'll get something he is missing.
    What's Missing Link?

Does he know "leave it"? Pick up a stone and show it to him, get it really close to his face. When he goes for it give him a firm "leave it", pull it back and give him a treat. Do that over and over and he gets it. Othen than that, I don't know.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

He does know leave it Amy so that is a thought. I'll give that a try. Aren't you glad Frankie doesn't do that. At least it doesn't run in the family. ;D It's really scary to see a bunch of thrown up stones. Missing Link is a dietary supplement that everyone swears by. Am willing to try anything. He's only gone out on leash today till I come up with something. I'll spend some time out with him and try your suggestion.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Frankie did try to eat rocks when we first brought him home but he caught onto 'leave it' really fast and hasn't done it since.

I hope it works Sue.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Our breeder's contract with Emma's breeder calls for Missing Link supplement after the age of 12 months. So, we use it also.

Here is the blurb from their site:
    In nature, animals consume foods that are whole, raw and fresh, while domestic animals generally have a diet of processed foods only. The Missing Link® was developed to target the nutritional gap between what nature provides and what is available in commercial foods. Formulated with all-natural, human-edible-quality whole foods and food concentrates, The Missing Link® reintroduces unprocessed, nutrient-rich foods into your animal's diet.

Brenda, you mentioned three surgeries for Sam. Wow. That is what scares me to death. What were his symptoms that led to the surgeries? Have been watching Sammie all day . I know he hasn't felt too great . Not his usual chipper self. Been taking out on leash today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast