When training goes downhill.....

Thread: When training goes downhill.....

DefaultWhen training goes downhill.....

Since Tucker was a puppy, I've played hide 'n seek and 'find it' with him, inside and outside.

With 'find it', I have him get up on his chair in the living room, tell him to stay....then I go into a bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen and hide a ball. Then I yell OK, and he goes running, and hunting to find it. We both love the game. The only rule is the hall light is on (we usually play at night), but all other room lights are off where he's to hunt.

He's always done so well with the game, and smug me thought gee, what a smart dog I have...

Well, at times, especially outside, when I'd hide it in a really tough place to find (middle of a huge overgrown field), I'd give him some hints (back, or arm signal, or say over there), to help him.

But at times now, it's gotten to the point that he'll just stop looking, and look at me, waiting for hints for help. Last night we played in the house. The times when he kept looking but couldn't find it, he'd just stop and look at me, waiting for his hints....look up on the bed, look under the pillow, look up on the chair.

He's gotten lazy : Good thing I don't try to compete in field trials or hunt tests, or any of those things.....I could just see us, him looking to me for hints, and me whispering help to him (go look under that bush). ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When training goes downhill.....

Lol i've recently started playing hide n go seek with Ty. Its been pretty hilarious....

I even got a video of it, I might put it on youtube someday. I make him sit in the computer room and stay...and I walk into the bathroom. I had a camera sitting on the bathroom counter looking into the hallway, I tell him "here!" and he comes running and stops right in the hallway and looks right at the camera...still as ever. Then he makes 3 quick steps and looks down the hallway, you can only see his butt...stays completely still for a half second...then spins around the other direction...then spins around and looks at the camera again...then spins around and looks into the room he came from...then he sniffs me out in the bathroom.

Pretty funny!

What you experienced is pretty typical in obedience training, particularly with the scent work in Utility. The handler "helps" the dog so much that the dog can't work without help. These are the dogs that run out to the article pile and just stand there staring at the handler "Well? Which one do you want?" One of my training buddies is going thru this right now. The dog will work after the 2nd command to find it because she has had to repeat it so many times that now he thinks the 2nd command is the command he needs to wait for.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My daughter has played hide and seek with Emma since she was a pup. It's great for rainy days when both labbys and children are bored.
    It is getting harder now for her to find any spots Emma doesn't know about. Aidan? Well, he just follows Emma around and lets her do all of the work lol but I did notice, when KAtie has found a REALLY good spot and Emma is stumped, Emma will run around in circles and re-track her steps.
    Aidan will put his nose to the ground and find her.

Funny story. When Murray was an only dog, I used to hide treats around the house for him to find while we were at work. He loved this game and it kept him busy and out of trouble. I always hid 6 of these tiny dog biscuits in various places. When we got Essy I stopped doing it because I didn't want them to get into a fight over the food (not that they would but that they could) especially when no one was there to break it up. I have since been buying a different treat for both dogs...homemade hard cookies from a lady who lives near by. I recently ran out of treats one morning as I was leaving for work. I happened to find a bag of the old tiny bisuits so I used those instead. I tossed one to Murray as I was walking out the door and I saw the light bulb go off in his head and starting searching thru the house for the hidden cookies. I couldn't believe he remembered that from well over 1 yr ago. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Funny story. When Murray was an only dog, I used to hide treats around the house for him to find while we were at work. He loved this game and it kept him busy and out of trouble. I always hid 6 of these tiny dog biscuits in various places. When we got Essy I stopped doing it because I didn't want them to get into a fight over the food (not that they would but that they could) especially when no one was there to break it up. I have since been buying a different treat for both dogs...homemade hard cookies from a lady who lives near by. I recently ran out of treats one morning as I was leaving for work. I happened to find a bag of the old tiny bisuits so I used those instead. I tossed one to Murray as I was walking out the door and I saw the light bulb go off in his head and starting searching thru the house for the hidden cookies. I couldn't believe he remembered that from well over 1 yr ago. ;D
    That's a neat story. There are some things Tucker did when he was a wee puppy, that he'll sometimes still do, or remember. They have such good memories it seems.