What could have made her scared of brooms??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could have made her scared of brooms??

DefaultWhat could have made her scared of brooms??

Allie our 3 year old lab is terrified of brooms. Whenever we get one out she runs. We were trying to reward her for going near the broom last night and it was working but still a long way to go. Her ears go back and tail tucks between the legs when she sees it whether it is being used or just in the corner. If we are standing next to it she will slink over when we call her with the tail tucked and ears back. This got us thinking, do you think someone could have hit her with one as a puppy? We got her at 8 weeks old. The person we got her from seemed alright but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have chosen him as place to purchase a dog but we love Allie and she definitely meant to be with us

Anyway do you think she could remember something like that from 8 weeks old or does she just not like brooms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultRe: What could have made her scared of brooms??

It might be that one scared her as a baby, or been used to hit her or chase her...or she might just think it is spooky. I know a lab that spooked at her own shadow and she was never abused. Can't say for sure why she acted that way but it took a lot of socialization and desensitizing her to fix it. She'd spook at the weirdest things.

Someone else will probably have more suggestions but when I have a spooky horse, we leave that object out and around iwhere they are and make sure they're around it every day and work with them every day to desensitize them to it. Rewarding like you have been is a good start too.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I would not think she would remember from before 8 weeks old, but I guess it's possible.

Is it possible that perhaps the broom either fell when she was near it, or she bumped it and knocked it over and it scared her?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Don't know the answer...Zoe is afraid of the ironing board. Go figure.

As soon as she hears me taking it out of the closet, she'll run to her bed and stays put.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Usually when dogs are afraid of something, it's because of the sound it makes. Then they associate "scary sound" with a particular object, and voila!

Or she could have not had much exposure to brooms as a wee pup, and so they are foreign and scary to her now...... or she could have just had one fall over or something during one of the critical "fear" periods, and that did it.

good idea with the desensitizing though.

Another possibility is to put it by her food bowl, so she associates it with yummy dinner!

edited to add: Make sure if you do leave it out somewhere obvious, that YOU pretend it's not even there. if you make a big deal of it, then she'll think she's justified for thinking it's scary!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Samson is offline Senior Member

I agree with the desensitizing idea although even now my boys skedaddle when I turn the hoover on !

No great shakes if you do the brushing when she's in the other room ! No sense in stressing her unnecessarily IMHO

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

OMG!! My daughter has 2 labs who are terrified of brooms. When she bought a new couch, she bought a few extra brooms to lay on the sections so the dogs don't go up on the couch!! I never heard of any others with that same fear. I can't wait to tell her.
    It's really funny whenever someone goes to her house for the first time. She doesn't always remember to remove the brooms cause they are so used to them being there. One can only imagine what the new guests think when they see so many brooms laying on the cushions.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

I was going to say the noise too. It probably fell over and scared her. Isn't it weird how this happens. Raven is afraid of the baby gate we use to block doorways...I am sure it fell and hit the hardwood floor and that is why. A funny story, Raven used to be afraid of the word "yogurt"!!! I once said, "want some yogurt" and at the same time I bumped the metal trash can and scared her, for the longest time, every time I said yogurt she ran. We slowly desensitized it by calling it something else until she ate it and then started saying "good yogurt". That may work for you, maybe using treats near the broom. Good Luck.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

No clue...ours is scared of trashbags or those plastic bags from the store :

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestGirl
    No clue...ours is scared of trashbags or those plastic bags from the store :
    We tie those to the hay troughs to fix that problem for the horses/mules. They either get over it or don't chow. ;D takes about 1 meal for them to get over it. Then again, a spooking horse can kill you where a spooking dog is just a little inconvenient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast