Need everyone's help with ideas to entertain Billie (a bit long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need everyone's help with ideas to entertain Billie (a bit long)

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultNeed everyone's help with ideas to entertain Billie (a bit long)

Ok gang, we're one week into a 8 week confinement for Billie's heartworm. Miss Billie Holliday has reached her limit on confinement. I take her for her allowed 5-10 minute walks 2 or 3 times a day plus her normal two potty breaks and she's out of her crate every minute I'm home, though she's tied to me.

This morning I had the hallway blocked off so she could be free for a minute while I was in the shower. She ate her leash. Thankfully she didn't actually consume her leash. It was a really nice leather leash that was a gift with her adoption too...so supple and soft...like a set of reins for a horse. Anyway...

I need some ideas for how to entertain my dog. She cannot run, chase or play. I used to feed her in her buster cube but she'd run and chase it so that's out. We used to play catch in the house and obviously tons of chuck it in the yard. That's out. Tug of war is out too. Anything that is major physical exertion is out.

Anyone that's had to confine their dog for a period of time with no exertion allowed - how did you keep them from turning destructive and getting frustrated? She has chew toys galore but wants to play. I'm lost.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need everyone's help with ideas to entertain Billie (a bit long)

BudGirl8 Guest

OOH! Thank you. That's excellent stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I need to save that Web site too!

No great advice - just wanted to say I can sympathize, and good luck! I had to keep Angus down for ten days after his intestinal blockage surgery. When I picked him up after his evening in recovery, he was rearin' to go. He was on pain meds, so that helped some, and they gave us some Acepromazine (sp?), which we used. :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I would work on teaching obedience, new tricks, teach her to scent by hiding toys/treats and having her look for them...basically anything that makes her use her brain will help wear her out.

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I need to save that Web site too!

No great advice - just wanted to say I can sympathize, and good luck! I had to keep Angus down for ten days after his intestinal blockage surgery. When I picked him up after his evening in recovery, he was rearin' to go. He was on pain meds, so that helped some, and they gave us some Acepromazine (sp?), which we used. :-[
    I asked the vet about some kind of something to act as a sedative and she said no it was too dangerous. Living with a 3 year old child that loves this dog and wants to play is going to make things doubly challenging.

After hearing your Angus stories I can't imagine how much fun it was to try to keep him calm either. Billie and Angus sound a lot alike. ;D The difference is Angus is much further along in his training. I'm going to try to use this close up time with Billie to get her moved along in that department.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    teach her to scent by hiding toys/treats and having her look for them
    This was going to be my suggestion.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Can I ask, what is heartworm? we don't get that here.

As for suggestions -- you have been given some great ideas. Mental games. Hide and go seek, obedience workouts, teaching new tricks, interactive toys, etc.

BudGirl8 Guest

Scott is going to have to build me several versions of the belt with long ropes so she can actually move around and still not run... that way we can do stuff like "find it" a little easier. I'm hoping to get her stay REALLY solid and her recall really solid too. Maybe after this I can start to work on her being off leash. That might be overly hopeful but at this point I have to have something to look forward to - trips to the lake this summer where she can play off leash would be a huge goal for us.

Trickster - maybe someone else can give a better explanation but I think it essentially worms that attack the heart muscle. They are spread through the blood that is transmitted through mosquito bites. Generally they're a problem in warm humid climates, though there are cases just about everywhere. The treatment is some heavy duty shots given over 24 hours, then one month of essentially doggie bed rest, where they cannot run or play, only a couple walks a day that are very short. Then they get another set of three shots over 24 hours and the last month of confinement is very critical that they do not have any exertion (that's my understanding anyway) because the worms are being killed off and expelled and any exertion could throw a clot and potentially kill them.

I'll work on the minimal exertion obedience and mental stuff. I've got some toys but most she wants to run and play with and bat around so I can't do those - if someone has suggestions for interactive toys that don't require that stuff let me know.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good grief. That sounds terrible. Best wishes for Billies recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast