Need Advice On Electric Fence

Thread: Need Advice On Electric Fence

kk4389 is offline Member

DefaultNeed Advice On Electric Fence

Hello everyone. I need some help. My parents absolutely do not want a regualar fence around their yard and cannot get a pen until next year due to some septic yard work that is going to be in the works. Once that is complete they plan on getting a nice big pen for the dogs, but until that time, they are thinking about putting in an electric fence. We have 2 chocolate labs (littermates) that are 8 months old. They absolutely LOVE to be outside, but we have been confining them to a 30 foot run and they get tangled and can't roam around as much as they need to. We will NEVER let the dogs out without one of us out with them, even if we get the electric fence. I just don't trust that they will EVER really be safe outside alone.
    So I am wondering if you all could tell me your experiences with electric fences and what brands are the best. We are planning on bordering just our back yard area (it's about 1/4 acre).
    Any suggestions will be very helpful as I don't even know where to begin with my search on this.
    Thanks In Advance.
    Kelly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need Advice On Electric Fence

I know this will be NO help to you..but just be careful. We have a neighbor that had an electric fence and a GSD..he ran right thru it and bit someone..and had to be PTS. Be really careful..some dogs won't stop for it.
    Good Luck.. Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by kk4389
    Hello everyone. I need some help. My parents absolutely do not want a regualar fence around their yard and cannot get a pen until next year due to some septic yard work that is going to be in the works. Once that is complete they plan on getting a nice big pen for the dogs, but until that time, they are thinking about putting in an electric fence. We have 2 chocolate labs (littermates) that are 8 months old. They absolutely LOVE to be outside, but we have been confining them to a 30 foot run and they get tangled and can't roam around as much as they need to. We will NEVER let the dogs out without one of us out with them, even if we get the electric fence. I just don't trust that they will EVER really be safe outside alone.
    So I am wondering if you all could tell me your experiences with electric fences and what brands are the best. We are planning on bordering just our back yard area (it's about 1/4 acre).
    Any suggestions will be very helpful as I don't even know where to begin with my search on this.
    Thanks In Advance.
    Kelly

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Advice On Electric Fence

Kelly,

I had to chime in on this subject being that my Lexi is Invisible Fenced. Before I continue, I must preface my input with these do work if the dog is trained properly on it. Alot of times these are not effective because the dog was not trained or not trained enough on it. Yes there are dogs who will simply take a hit from it & keep right on going. The plus with Invisible Fence if you find that it simply does not work for your dog, I understand they will refund your money within the first year.

When I got Lexi 2 years ago (she is a rescue) I decided that I needed some sort of containment for her. I live in the suburbs, but on a very busy road & my house sits VERY close to the road. I looked into all my options: chain link fence, decorative vinyl and finally the "Invisible Fence". The prices ranged from $1,500 to chain link fence only my back yard, $3,000 for the decorative vinyl (again back yard only) and $800 to "Invisible Fence" my entire property. I weighed out all my choices, considered the financial impact, the maintenance for it and chose the "Invisible Fence System".

If you live in an area with lots of wild animals or other loose critters, the Invisible Fence System does NOT prevent them from getting into the yard. Thankfully, that is not an issue for me.

Invisible Fence came out, installed the system, showed me how to train her to backup when the collar beeps. Two weeks after it was installed they came out and administered the first "correction" to her. During the first few weeks, I was unsure whether she would stop in hot pursuit of a bunny, but much to my delight she did. My mom & I had her out in the yard one night after a walk. She was loose, but I had a long training lead on her just in case she'd decide to go for a stroll. A bunny ventured into the yard and she was after it. The bunny ran one direction and suddenly doubled back headed towards my neighbors property. Of course Lexi was hot on its tail, it ran between the white flags and Lexi put on the brakes so hard she left skid marks in the grass.

In the almost 2 years she's been on Invisible Fence I can count on one hand the number of times she has gotten close enough to get the correction, not counting the corrections the company did. She went through it just one time & that was my fault as I'd put her out without her collar on. For the most part she does not even get close enough to get a beep, but every now & again she will. When that happens she usually hauls butt away from the edge of the property.

Again, this is just my opinion and experience. You need to figure out what is best for your situation. I personally love it because I am able to leave her out while I am doing stuff around the house or the yard & no she will not leave the yard.

My pretty girl, Lexi!