is this lab owner being a total jerk?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

LogansRun is offline Member

Defaultis this lab owner being a total jerk?

my puppy logan plays with another lab puppy (11 months) at a park about 40 minutes from our neighborhood. the owner of this lab is very protective of his dog, and i appreciate that. our labs play so well together...i'm sure you all know how two lab puppies can keep themselves very entertained. this is a park where all the dogs are off-leash and running free so they encounter all types of dogs along the way. both of our labs will run up and rambunctiously greet any dog there is, without any respect for its age, breed, or possible attitude. here's the problem: whenever this owner sees a pitbull and/or german shephard, he makes a scene by quickly doing everything he can to grab his lab and leash him up. as if the pit has an m-16 in his hands. it is clearly out of fear of the pitbull ripping his lab's face off or something and i can only imagine how this makes the pit's owner feel. i can understand the fear, and i do know there are folks out there that don't know what their dog is capable of in terms of rough play and violence, but i also have to admit that this guy's anxiety is starting to scare me and make me fearful of pits and the like. i think that might be the dog version of racial profiling or stereotyping but his quote "yeah, pits can be friendly, but all it takes is one time and my dog could be dead" rings in my head. what is everyone's take on it? i think it is easy to say there are good pits and bad pits and pits should be on leashes but the reality of it is, there are plenty of pits we see off leash around here in massachusetts. what's your take on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

The reality of the situation is that each and every dog that your pups run up to are capable of "ripping off the pup's face." It could just as easily be the Golden Retriever as the Pit Bull. The problem with dog parks are that people bring dogs there that should not be there (aggressive, unsocialized, uncontrollable, unvaccinated, etc). All it takes is one bad experience for either of your pups and the dog could be emotionally (if not physically) scarred for life. Dog parks are a necessary evil unfortunately. Many people do not have the space available to let their dogs run off leash. All I'm saying is that you need to always be aware and in control in a dog park. When we go to dog parks I try to avoid really busy times, I try to stay in a quieter, out of the way areas and I'm always watching doggy body language even for the dogs not playing with mine. If I see a trouble maker in the bunch, we leash up and go. I don't stick around to see what happens.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

i think that might be the dog version of racial profiling
    That made me snicker.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paola is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    The reality of the situation is that each and every dog that your pups run up to are capable of "ripping off the pup's face."
    Ditto. The G.'s PT had both her seniors (an 8 yr old lab and a 9 yr old FCR) ripped up by a lab. The lab got 8 stitches in her ear and her Flat is still dealing with a subluxation of her shoulder. And the lab was leashed - ripped off and went for the girls.
    I take mine to parks, since we really don't have many other options, but I'm very careful of what goes on. Especially now that I have a dachshund pup - she's fast, will run off and does use appropriate body language. Nonetheless a GSD was going for her throat when she was already belly-up. She now knows to keep well away from that dog, but I still am careful and try to keep away.
    I don't have issues with any breed, but I try to go very early in the morning and get to know the dogs and their behaviour.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I like all breeds of dogs and have seen poorly behaved and great behaved dogs from various breeds. I understand peoples hesitance with particular breeds,unfortunately. My neighbor has a Pit mix and he's a big sweetie. I've seen the reaction in people when they first meet this dog and they have no clue what a love bug he really is.

I am not familiar with the dog park scene,as we don't have them in our area. I have read numerous posts in this forum on or about dog parks. I'm more concerned with dog parks and dog owners than I am with dogs. I get the impression that some dog owners use the dog park as place to exercise their unbehaved, uncontrolled dogs because it's fenced and they don't have to do anything.

I prefer training my dogs so we can enjoy off leash romps outside of fenced areas.We socialize our dogs on leash and off leash. Most people who have faith in their dogs training walk the trail s and woods in our area. Those that don't, leash their dogs.It put's your mind at ease.

If we had a dog park I would be hesitant to use it.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I've been to parks and dog parks. The only dog thats ever tried to attack me or apollo was a great pyranese. Apollo is good friends with a pitbull puppy named Tyson, a Rottie Named T-bone, and a German Shepard named Jake.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

LogansRun is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    All it takes is one bad experience for either of your pups and the dog could be emotionally (if not physically) scarred for life. Dog parks are a necessary evil unfortunately.
    i totally agree and unfortunately logan has actually been pounded on a few times in his short 10 month life at these dog parks. once by two shephards and once by another single shephard. he had some puncture wounds but he healed up nicely and is very resilient...after he got attacked he got right back up with his tail wagging...like he didn't even care! he just wanted to make peace with the dog and keep playing! like "ok ok ok you're the boss..you cut me! fine! now can we still roll around?" i obviously had to get him out of there and make sure the dogs had their shots but i'm telling you my dog logan is fearless. clueless might be a better word. i've seen certain dogs put him in his place and he'll just keep on egging them on. makes me nervous sometimes!

Felix Guest

How can a human over react

Yes indeed, in this way ...

Laika also play's with a Staffordshire verry often, and that is always going in a fun way, i guess, if it was a Pitbull, it whould go in the same way ...

But it's always the people who over react on such type of dogs!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I hope you don't think the owner is a total jerk because I am an overprotective lab mom too.

Felix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    I hope you don't think the owner is a total jerk because I am an overprotective lab mom too.
    Why should you protect you're Labrador ???

I gues he or she can manage it perfectly by their self, and if things go out of hand, you always can join the club to settle things down

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast