is this lab owner being a total jerk? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    I gues that it makes a big difference, by such dogs (pitbull, staffordshire) who's on the other end of the leash

You knever see such type of person's (macho type of guy's) on puppy training courses, or other type of trainings events for dog's ... if you get what i mean ;D
    I'm with Felix!!!

That pretty much summed it up fantastically for me, If you can't relax and have confidence in yourself to handle any situation that may come up, don't go to dog parks!! It really is that simple! Take your dog to other dog-related places/activities.

(You don't see a lot of "buff" dudes in "freestyle dance"....although it would be funny! ;D)

With any breed of dog, the biggest influential factor (I think) is who is on the other end of the leash. That's why I plan (and strive) to be the best "other-end-of-the-leash" that I can be for my guys. For me, this includes managing difficult situations so that she (they) don't have to. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just wanted to add my sympathies for the owners with bad pit bull experiences. I have a boxer/pit bull mix and he's less aggressive than Toby, my black lab. Toby is much more "crabby" than Rocky. We actually had an embarassing incident at the vet this past week when Toby just didn't want the vet to touch him anywhere. He started with a low growl and ended with panic howls...and all she was doing was checking his teeth and clipping his nails which she's done a dozen times before.

Rocky was "bred" to be a fighter. He was found tied to an A/C unit with no food or water this past winter where he was signed over to me after a rant and rave from the owner that he was his "prized fighting dog" and was willing to give me $400 for him back. It's those types of people that make me sick and give these dogs bad names and bad attitudes. It's ridiculous.

Perhaps I just got lucky that he turned out better behaved than the lab...most times. : Either way, puppies will be puppies and I wouldn't give either of them up for the world.

Felix Guest

Realy, it's a shame that i dont have a picture of it, but Laika also plays a few time's in a week with a Staffordshire, and they play so well together ...

But the owner of the Staffordshire is an older man, who cant come on a daily base to the dog park :

And even the dog-park is or was a good thing to Laika (she didnt get used to a lot of things), that make's her the dog she still is, one with a lot confidence, and that helped her that she wont attack other dog's when she's on the leash, so i gues that the dog-park is a good thing for "normal" dog's, and i'am not counting the excessive type of dog's who show's aggressive type of behavior.

Actually, the first time i went with Laika to the dog park was on the second day i have her (19 august 2006), and that was the only time i see a dog really attack her (some kind of Staffordshire type of dog), and i'am glad that she didnt remember that thing

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruger is not yet old enough to go to dog parks, but I imagine I will be one of those owners who is protective. While I think that Pitbulls are cute, I do not trust them at all and wouldn't want one anywhere near my dog. There are a ton of them in my small town and most of the owners are the tough guy types who think it is cool that their dog can kick your dogs butt. When my husband was in highschool his families yellow lab was attacked in his own yard by an unleashed pitbull. There were quite a few grown men yelling and hitting the dog with shovels, 2x4's and other items but nothing was working to get that pitbull to let go, it had to be shot. The lab survived, but after my husband told me that I just don't want pitbulls near me or my dog. I am also fearfull of Rotti's not for my dog but for myself because I have been charged by too many of them. I used to be scared of Boxer's until my little sister got one, he is HUGE but he is the sweetest dog ever, he doesn't growl or anything, I've never even heard him bark. He is Ruger's only playmate right now and he just let's Ruger chew him up.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I like Rotties actually the only bad experience I have ever had with a dog was with a HUGE great pyranese at a dog park that was circling me and barking and trying to attack ME! Yikes!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

LogansRun is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    If you can't relax and have confidence in yourself to handle any situation that may come up, don't go to dog parks!! It really is that simple! Take your dog to other dog-related places/activities.
    yeah in boston there aren't too many other places to take your dog and let him "be a dog." remember when i say "dog park," i'm not talking about a fenced in area, i'm talking about a natural park with hills, water, mud, grass and fields where dogs rule and the majority of people there are dog people. i have been a lot better in terms of my confidence with logan and extending that confidence toward him. the thing is, he never gets worried or stand-offish or in defense mode...he is always ready to play 100%. i can see where my nervous behavior might travel down the leash and make him nervous, but he is never on the leash, he is off the leash in these situations (as are all the other dogs). this is what i mean when i say letting a dog be a dog.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Here, Pits and staffs are banned and if you own them they have to be muzzled and on-leash at all times.

This bothers me a lot, because a muzzled dog is ALWAYS more aggressive, regardless of breed, because they know that their main mode of defending themselves has been taken away, so they adopt a "best defense is a good offense" type stand. (snarling, pinning, etc.)

Which of course makes people go "ooo... look at that aggressive pit, good thing he's muzzled.." where he probably wouldn't be aggressive if he didn't have the muzzle on...

*sigh* People frustrate me a lot at times. Stupid Ontario!
    AMEN! (Fellow ontario resident)

Honestly - The only dogs that have growled (in a mean way) towards Rocky have been tiny ankle bitters that were object possessive. The only reason people were not afraid is that the damage done by such a dog would be minimal - but the agression was intense!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logans Run
    If you can't relax and have confidence in yourself to handle any situation that may come up, don't go to dog parks!! It really is that simple! Take your dog to other dog-related places/activities.
    yeah in boston there aren't too many other places to take your dog and let him "be a dog." remember when i say "dog park," i'm not talking about a fenced in area, i'm talking about a natural park with hills, water, mud, grass and fields where dogs rule and the majority of people there are dog people. i have been a lot better in terms of my confidence with logan and extending that confidence toward him. the thing is, he never gets worried or stand-offish or in defense mode...he is always ready to play 100%. i can see where my nervous behavior might travel down the leash and make him nervous, but he is never on the leash, he is off the leash in these situations (as are all the other dogs). this is what i mean when i say letting a dog be a dog.
    It doesn't really matter if he's on leash or off. And he's probably not feeling the effects yet, but that doesn't mean that he's not gonna catch on sooner or later and internalize that anxiety.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345