is this lab owner being a total jerk? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

a dog displaying unbalanced, unnerving language and behaviour,
    a calm, balanced state
    you are the "pack leader".
    as a pack "follower")
    you are unstable
    Do I sense a Cesar fan here? :P

What's wrong with a German Shepperd
    If this was directed at me...nothing, as I said. You are 100% right that any dog has the potential to be dangerous in the wrong hands.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    a dog displaying unbalanced, unnerving language and behaviour,
    a calm, balanced state
    you are the "pack leader".
    as a pack "follower")
    you are unstable
    Do I sense a Cesar fan here? :P
    If the shoe fits!!

It's a method that keeps my dog calm, happy and safe... what more could I ask?

I've seen the "anxiety transfer" from owner to dog many times... it never ends well! :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I've seen the "anxiety transfer" from owner to dog many times... it never ends well!
    I agree. It is true when they say stress or anxiety travels down the leash. I think dogs have a sixth sense for reading peoples moods.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Samson was attacked by a Staff while he was a puppy.

Samson was on leash and the Staff was loose.

The only thing that saved Samson ( and myself ) was that the Staff was muzzled.

Even so Samson was petrified - I was obviously totally unphased by the attack being pretty fearless myself - yeah right. Even without the blood and gore it was a frightening experience and I admit that I kicked the Staff to get it off Samson and it had absoultely no effect on it.

My only option was to pick Samson up and the Staff soon lost interest.

You are right to be wary of other dogs and their sometimes sadly lacking common sense owners.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Here, Pits and staffs are banned and if you own them they have to be muzzled and on-leash at all times.

This bothers me a lot, because a muzzled dog is ALWAYS more aggressive, regardless of breed, because they know that their main mode of defending themselves has been taken away, so they adopt a "best defense is a good offense" type stand. (snarling, pinning, etc.)

Which of course makes people go "ooo... look at that aggressive pit, good thing he's muzzled.." where he probably wouldn't be aggressive if he didn't have the muzzle on...

*sigh* People frustrate me a lot at times. Stupid Ontario!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

The park where I take Tal has a dog park area, two actually, but I have never taken Tal there and really do not intend to. I like seeing him pplay with other dogs and I know he plays with good sorts of all breeds at daycare. They carefully screen each dog for aggressiveness. They all have a great time and it is a day long free for all. They are also constantly supervised.

At a dog park you have no assurances that any dog is ok. And all it takes is one nut job owner to ruin one dog and it has the potential to cause all hell to break loose.

There are plantly of other places at that park to take Tal where he can safely run off leash, fetch, swim and I have been there enuf to see some regulars and see that their dogs are well behaved. Yes even a Pit or two. I am cautious of any dog until I know it is safe.

I would not say you were over protective...sounds like you are using good judgement to me. And if it is overprotectiveness, then I am guilty of it as well.

Yuna is offline Senior Member

I saw an interesting comment today on another community. The poster had 2 pits who are wonderful dogs. She's a pit advocate. Anyway, she said a dog park is no place for pitbulls. I'm kind of confused. I never worried about it before but that comment mad me wonder if I should.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

Felix Guest

I gues that it makes a big difference, by such dogs (pitbull, staffordshire) who's on the other end of the leash

You knever see such type of person's (macho type of guy's) on puppy training courses, or other type of trainings events for dog's ... if you get what i mean ;D

Ok, I'm one of those nervous owners, I don't think I will ever take my dogs to a dog park, mainly because I don't like the idea of not knowing any of the temperments of any dog that might be there......I have a Lab and Aussie right now, but I had a wonderful ChowChow for almost 13 years, she was the sweetest dog, but would I feel comfortable with my dogs being around a Chow that I didn't know anything about it, no I wouldn't. As a kid we had German Shepherds, well bred ones are great, loved ours, but the same situation, if I don't know the owner or the dog, then I don't want to chance the safety of my dogs...
    Wish I could be braver...but I'm not...
    Debbie

Anyway, she said a dog park is no place for pitbulls. I'm kind of confused. I never worried about it before but that comment mad me wonder if I should.
    Cudos to her for being a responsible Pit owner. She is right -- they have no place at a dog park. Come to think of it, most of the fighting type breeds have no place at a dog park. The reason behind this is their potential for dog aggression. I have heard Bully breed owners say "never trust ______ (insert Bully breed) not to fight". Responsbile Bully breeders have bred much of the aggression out of their dogs but that instinct still exists...they will never be "rid" of it. Just as you wouldn't let a pet Border Collie loose in a field with a flock of sheep, you shouldn't let a Bully breed interact with large numbers of strange dogs as a precaution.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast