is this lab owner being a total jerk? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: is this lab owner being a total jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    While I think it is unnecessary to make a big scene, I don't see any harm in being over protective. I'm the first to admit that if I see a dog of a certain breed off leash I'll go out of my way to avoid them. I'll avoid German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Boxers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers if I see them coming. If I have no choice but to cross pathes with owners of these breeds I will ask them if their dog is ok. If they say the dog/dogs are fine, that is ok with me. Otherwise I darn well expect them to have 100% control of their animal...dangerous dogs should not be off leash.

I gues he or she can manage it perfectly by their self,
    Manage what? a fight? if so, that is simply not true. Some Labradors will defend themselves, others will not. Labradors are not an aggressive or confrontational breed so when faced with a "fight" many will try to run or shut down. I assure you if you ever have to witness a serious dog fight you would think differently...
    I will not sugest that a labrador is an agresive dog, but the male labrador my sister has, is not a sissy, and he now's what to do in a fight ...

But relax, we dont want them to fight so we always stop it before it actually happen, the only breed's i dont like are those pitbull type of dog's or the staffordshire's, the rest is all oke with me

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LogansRun is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    the only breed's i dont like are those pitbull type of dog's or the staffordshire's, the rest is all oke with me
    how about the akita?

Felix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Logans Run
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    the only breed's i dont like are those pitbull type of dog's or the staffordshire's, the rest is all oke with me
    how about the akita?
    That type of breed we dont see often in the Netherlands

Actualy as i said al before, the pitbull is forbidden over here, and a staffordshire without a pedigree is also forbidden, if you have one, they dis-own you, and the dog is putting in a sleep :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think the guy is a nut. I have more problems at dog parks with seemingly benign and friendly breeds than I ever had with the "bad" breeds.

Granted there is always that idiot who brings his unsocialized dog in the park, but it could just as easily bea dog you wouldn't suspect. Hudler was terrorized as a puppy by a JRT.

Quote Originally Posted by mich
    Not so much a jerk, but definitely freaked out by certain breeds.

My neighbor across the street is a dog lover thru and thru. That is, until two years ago when two german shepherds were roaming our neighborhood, and attacked her in her own front yard. She had over a hundred stitches on her right arm and across her cheek - scars she'll carry for life.

I don't blame her one bit for being paranoid around dogs now, and would understand if she directed her fears towards GS's.

I agree with ROTTNLABS: any dog has the potential to be dangerous.

Whatever the reason this guy gets freaked out, let him. Until you ask and find out, you just don't know for sure what he's basing his reason on.
    I posted the above quote yesterday. It so happens that yesterday evening I took Rocket to the dog park when we there was a pack attack involving a pitt bull.

The young woman comes in being dragged by her female pitt who still had teets after weaning her puppies not very long ago. This woman brought her dog to see how she would get along with others since (she explained) her dog is never around other dogs. (yeah, "crap" is what I was thinking too). The only other dogs in the park were four males, including Rocket. Before she even got the chance to unleash her dog all hell broke loose. Her dog became vicious, and the four males became vicious right back. We all jumped in to pull our dogs back, and because I was behind the pitt, I was last to reach and get Rocket.
    (oops, I remembered that one was actually a female)

I have never seen Rocket like that. I knew he had it in him, but I was amazed to see him -- he was actually the most aggressive of the other four dogs. And you could really see the pack behavior loud and clear. I believe that if they hadn't been stopped, one of those dogs (or more) would have ended up severely hurt (or dead?)

Fortunately the woman left immediately, but we were all so preoccupied with our own dogs that none of us had the chance to educate her before she left. I doubt we'll ever see her again, and whiile I applaud her for wanting to take her dog to the park, I feel sorry for her because her experience was so bad that I bet she never endeavors to try it again with any dog.

As for our dogs, once the pitt bull was gone they romped and rolled with each other like nothing ever happened. The cutest one was the 5mo bull terrier. She was so fun to watch -- she was half the size of all the others, but that didn't phase her one bit. I think she thought she was the biggest one out there.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

^^ the only tricky thing with that is in our area, sometimes the nutjobs who are trying to get their psycho dog some exercise think they are being responsible by taking them during off hours so they can run free and not rip any other dogs apart. so if you go during off hours you are just as likely to encounter a vicious dog! arrrrgh you can't win.
    Thats true, actually. You are right. In our area most of the German Shepherd wackjobs are out really early. Now, don't get me wrong, in the hands of the right person a GSD is a fabulous dog. I'd like to own one in the future and I do own a GSD/Collie cross. But there is something about the breed that attracts the strange, aggressive, military type men who bellow commands at the dog like there is no tomorrow.

I think the guy is a nut. I have more problems at dog parks with seemingly benign and friendly breeds than I ever had with the "bad" breeds.
    So have I for the most part. But who is to say that this guy hasn't had experiences with the "bad" breeds? because lets face it, one attack or terrible incident can put you off a breed for life. Around 2 weeks ago I posted about a horrible attack I had to witness when a loose Greyhound savaged a Toy Poodle. The Greyhound was out to kill. I know not all Greyhounds are 'killers' but witnessing that put me off the breed. Same for Boxers...nasty experiences have put me off them.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Ummm...guys...this 'nut' is actually the poster. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by Logans Run
    ok i admit it! i'm the guy who is overprotective! i used our friend felony and her owner as the scapegoats, but i am actually the person. i just didn't want to get run off of these boards if i said something extremely unpopular. so now - - you can all laugh and throw things at me! i am super overprotective of logan and i just thought i was acting irrational. i guess i'm not. but then again, we're all on a message board talking about labrador retrievers so i should assume everyone here is a little obsessive about labs and naturally overprotective! i'm ashamed but hey i'll get over it! i try and live in the present like my dog.
    Just wanted to clarify.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ummm...guys...this 'nut' is actually the poster. See below:
    Ahh! I must have missed that. Ok, well if Logans Run is a nut then I must be a nut also.

Felix Guest

What's wrong with a German Shepperd ???

In the wrong hands evry dog is a fully loaded gun if you should ask me

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

oh goodness...

The problem here is that your anxiety is going to transfer to your dog.

From the standpoint of someone who frequents the dog park with her 15 pound minpin, I absolutely agree with the prevention and protection aspect. Peanut would be a nice light snack to many of the bigger breeds!

HOWEVER, I NEVER let her know that I'm worried, I certainly don't haul ass outta there.

I think that anyone who goes to dog parks NEEDS to be familiar and educated around dog body language. (difference between tense and excited, nervous and afraid, all of the "signs") This can save your dog, and enable you to manage your own dog, to keep you from being "that guy" or "that girl".

So, when I see a dog displaying unbalanced, unnerving language and behaviour, I make sure that I am between that dog and Peanut, and we work our way to a different area. If she has a scuffle with another dog, I NEVER leave at that moment. I wait until she is back in a calm, balanced state, and then we can leave.

Bottom line, when you go to the dog park (or when you are anywhere with your dog) you need to be on constant alert, because you are the "pack leader". That means that YOU have to constantly be aware of any dangers, constantly be evaluating the risk factors in any situations, so that your dog can relax and enjoy himself/herself (as a pack "follower")

By over-reacting when you see a certain type of dog, you're essentially telling Logan that you are unstable, and you don't have confidence in your ability to manage the situation. This is going to make him nervous, because he's relying on you to be his "rock", his pack leader.

Instead, I would recommend that you spend some serious time learning the ins and outs of the language that (ALL breeds of) dogs use to communicate (not just the obvious stuff like tail position and raised fur, ALL of the signals used!!) and rely on that.

Best of luck!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast